Silver filigree pendant or simply a jewelry finding?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by bluumz, Jun 25, 2021.

1. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

This came in the small lot with the glass intaglio ring and coral cameo poison ring that I posted about in another thread. Definitely silver, but I don’t know what fineness. At first I thought it was missing a green stone but now I’ve come to think that the hole at the top is for a bail. Hermès or Mercury? The figure seems particularly well done.
    It’s unmarked, I’ve had a good look with my loupe. Any thoughts such as origin or age or green bead composition are much appreciated. :)

A2098AC4-3EA2-481D-95E8-B67D74BCBD7A.jpeg 7C3C6D3D-C26F-46AC-BD20-82FA17CB4996.jpeg 5E5A647F-7EC4-4BF4-B797-BA8AC08E9C7D.jpeg 97BC13DA-5E07-49BD-B26A-78709A48FFE1.jpeg

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Hmmm, right after posting this I found a sold Etsy listing for what appears to be a mirror image of the center medallion of my pendant. Seller classifies it as "before 2000" and states it is marked Sterling on the back side.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    KSW, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It had an underneath bit. I've seen these as plaques on celluloid brooches and pendants.

KSW, Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thanks, I wondered about that!

KSW, Ownedbybear and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The green stones are glass, maybe Czech. I see glass with this jade-like coloration called Peking glass, but think that's incorrect. @Any Jewelry has been missing, but she knows more about it.

Shame on me, but I do not know the figure with the winged helmet. It's not Hermes/Mercury & does not seem to be Athena/Minerva, despite the very long hair. I'm still learning the heroes. I have seen it before.

KSW and bluumz like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Jason?

Bronwen and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This is lovely Bluumz!. I really like interesting pieces like this.

bluumz and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

I spent some time looking into Jason, but he does not seem to have been a favorite of gem engravers, perhaps because he comes to an inglorious end. A winged helmet could be appropriate to Perseus, but does not seem to be he either.

That coal scuttle of a helmet probably tells what part of Greece he's from, which in turn may indicate his identity. There are many gems of warriors that have never been given a firm identification.

KSW and bluumz like this.
  9. Aznathalie

Aznathalie Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    bluumz, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    bluumz and KSW like this.
  11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I love that depiction of Mercury! Great piece.

Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

I should have known that, she's on franc coins.

bluumz and Bronwen like this.
  14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Oh, duh for me. I love her.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted