Featured Silver folks,a teaching moment ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by johnnycb09, Jan 13, 2019.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. I picked up this bowl at the same place I found the silver shot glasses. Its 5x8 and engraved,some base in Japan. Now I know if "it aint marked,it aint silver" usually,but the weight and the tarnish (as well as the bell like ring and smell) convinced me it might be sterling.First glance I thought Jensen,but after research I found out Miyata was known to copy others designs.Heres where Ive hit a brick wall...any Miyata marks Ive found always seem to indicate what the item is...sterling,silver plate,stainless steel,etc.This bowl has no such indicator,but all Ive found to match the design was a sterling tea set ??? So,what gives ? Could it BE unmarked sterling? It sure FEELS right,but thats not always true. Any input is always welcome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Naval Air Facility Atsugi

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Try polishing it.
    You might find marks. If it is silver plate, polishing may expose pits or scratches that will help you determine what it is.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I wish I could say that your lovely bowl is solid silver of either .925 or .950 fineness, Johnny, but I have concluded it's silver plated. First and most importantly, there was an ordinance in Japan beginning 1954 that required that solid silver fineness be expressed and marked with the decimal version. If this bowl were solid, it would have been so marked.

I've found a large number of online records that show items from Miyata and a fair number, marked as yours is without the 950, are called silver plated.

Sorry,

(FYI - it's Naval Air Station Atsugi, not Facility.)

5. johnnycb09

Oh thats okay Bakers. I only have a few bucks in it. I looked and looked and didnt even find the info you did about having to mark after 1954. I also looked at a plethora of their marks,wich is where I got confused as they seemed to always mark it for what it was ie: sterling,plated etc. Plus the only one I found where it copied jensen was sterling. Neither nor,its always fun to research and discuss. Thank you all for the input. :)

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

7. Bakersgma

I'm just more familiar with the NAS abbreviation for Naval Air Station. They may have changed to facility more recently.

8. Bakersgma

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The Atsugi Naval Air Station apparently changed to a Naval Air Facility in the late 1960s. This page, with .mil extension in the URL, is an official U.S. military web page. https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrj/installations/naf_atsugi/about/history.html -- as a side note, U. S. military web pages are the only ones that can use .mil as their URL extension. Other U.S. government agencies generally use .gov.

About 2/3 of the way down the page there is this sentence: " By the late 1960's NAS was phasing down preparing to become a Naval Air Facility."

The history of Atsugi is very interesting, as it started out as a Japanese Naval Air Station that was given up to the U.S. at the end of World War II. Now it apparently has mostly U.S. but also some Japanese employees.

Then I wondered what the difference is between a Naval Air Station and a Naval Air Facility. This Wikipedia article says:
    "In the United States, a "Naval Air Station" (NAS) is an air base of the United States Navy. When located in foreign countries, they are more specifically named US Naval Air Stations (USNAS), to avoid confusion with naval air stations used by the navies of the host countries.

"A slightly lower level of air base in the U.S. Navy is the Naval Air Facility. These facilities normally support smaller numbers of naval aircraft. Permanently based naval aircraft are usually minimal, with the principal focus being on supporting naval aircraft deployed from other installations. "

10. Bakersgma

Thanks for the explanation, Fig!

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I have fond memories of North Island NAS.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  12. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

A very good looking bowl, on my own experience, looking at this picture especially it seems this "something" plated seems to be brass on the engraving pictures, but certainly made in three parts soldered together, and bowls machine made, not a silversmiths handwork.
    I cannot really explain how it does be to be solid silver but when looking the inside, here all says me "Plated" !
    [​IMG]

i need help and johnnycb09 like this.
  13. johnnycb09

Thats tarnish,but I can see how one would think that.Ill clean it and post pics later. Thank you for the input,always appreciated . :)

i need help likes this.
  14. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

Thanks to translate my idea, tarnish has a particular aspect when it's silver and is different with silver plate, I have no pieces in the moment to show the difference but I look in my workshop today.

Frank, i need help and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted