silver goblet

Discussion in 'Silver' started by anton34, May 12, 2020.

1. anton34

anton34 Well-Known Member

Can anyone give me a date (and possible region of origin!) for this silver goblet? (there is a tiny sword mark!; couldn't make out the other mark, even with my loop!). Thank you!

watermarked_15834088107413.jpg

watermarked_15834097042187.jpg

watermarked_15834093543327.jpg

watermarked_15833785468349.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The first place I go for a sword mark is the Netherlands. See this page for an overview of Netherlands' silver marks and the 3 variations of their sword mark. I can't tell what that other one is. Netherlands silver items usually have more marks than just the sword and are often spread out on the item so you may find other marks if you look further away from the sword.

https://www.925-1000.com/Fnetherlands_Date_Code.html

Now, that said, the design on the bowl looks Scandinavian to me. Can we see the other side? Particularly the squarish bit to the left.

3. anton34

certainly! watermarked_15834097379358.jpg

4. Bakersgma

Ok. A place for a monogram or presentation.

The color really bothers me. More like copper than silver. Have you thought about cleaning it? Some times that reveals the marks better.

5. anton34

oh it's not copper!; already tested it! and I never clean my silver! I like age tarnish/ patina!

6. Bakersgma

If you are planning to sell it, you should clean it. First - buyers don't want to have to clean it themselves and will find a shiny piece more appealing = easier sale + more $$. Second - Tarnish can be damaging to the silver beneath it. Tarnish is absolutely NOT patina.

7. anton34

I don't sell the majority of my silver! and I have 20lbs to go through yet! many years of accumulation!

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It could be Dutch Gothic Revival.
    But your silver doesn't like tarnish, and you won't like the damage it does. Patina is there anyway, even if you give it a gentle polish to clean away the tarnish.

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I really like it but is the bowl really so different in color than the stem? Something about that seems odd (but then I'm a little odd so maybe it's me)

Draft saved Draft deleted