Silver hallmark

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Rays123, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Rays123

Rays123 Member

Hello.
    Does anybody know what these marks indicate? silver.PNG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello, Rays123. Please show us the whole piece, from several angles, including the location of the marks.

kyratango and i need help like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hello, Rays. I'm pretty sure the marks are Dutch, but as Bronwen has asked, I agree that more pictures will help.

4. Rays123

Rays123 Member

Thank you for your feedback. The hallmarks are at the bottom of the box. It's a small box, like 2x3x2. I have not been able to find the mark with the 3 stars and the crown. If it is Dutch, how old do you think it is? box1.PNG box2.PNG box3.PNG

kyratango, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the pictures, Rays. The mark that was saying Dutch to me is the lion passant (and perhaps also to you?) which is a standard indicator. What is the number at the bottom between the lion's feet?
    The other marks are either not complete or from an earlier period than I was expecting.

To put the rest in context, we need someone more experienced in Dutch marks, so I will tag her to get her attention when she gets here tomorrow (it's the middle of the night in the the Netherlands ;) ) @Any Jewelry Can you help us please?

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Other than the lion passant, and probably the tiny mark to the left of the 'C', those are late 19th - early 20th century pseudo-marks used by Schoonhoven maker Houijkaas. Most likely the rest of the proper Dutch marks are scattered on the piece - they'll be small and could be anywhere - I'm on my phone and my eyes are bleary, but can see the 1888 'D' date letter at upper right in the first full pic of the piece...

Edit: my eyes really are shot - believe that's actually the 1896 'M' (but don't hold me to it...)

https://www.925-1000.com/Fnetherlands_Date_Code.html

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  7. Rays123

Rays123 Member

Thank you so much Cheryl.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

These genre pieces were made in the second half of the 19th century and early 20th century. The scenes were usually based on 17th century Dutch paintings.

I'm with Cheryl, other than the lion and probably the tiny mark too, the marks are fake marks. Pseudo-marks in polite conversation.;)
    The box is silver, but the old marks were added by the manufacturer to trick people into buying an 'antique'. Several makers did this.
    By now many of these boxes are antique, and they are collectible in their own right.:)

9. Bronwen

Ah yes, the old genuine fake antique story!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Every home should have one.:D

Bronwen likes this.
  11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

How ironic that "fake" antiques eventually become antiques.

12. Bronwen

Even Hanau silver, with all its bogus marks, becomes interesting, given enough time.

A friend who collects & deals in ancient coins & engraved gems was very dismissive of modern, i.e., post-Renaissance, gems precisely because they are not old enough for him. I've been corrupting him. Think it helped when I pointed out that if no one had appreciated & commissioned the things he likes when they were new, they wouldn't be around now for him to covet.

13. Bronwen

Even Hanau silver, with all its bogus marks, becomes interesting, given enough time.

A friend who collects & deals in ancient coins & engraved gems was very dismissive of modern, i.e., post-Renaissance, gems precisely because they are not old enough for him. I've been corrupting him. Think it helped when I pointed out that if no one had appreciated & commissioned the things he likes when they were new, they wouldn't be around now for him to covet.

bluumz likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

You evil woman.:hilarious:
    Exactly!:)

15. Any Jewelry

Bronwen, are you having trouble with your computer? This was posted twice:

Draft saved Draft deleted