Featured Silver haul for the weekend.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by J Dagger, Nov 27, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

486304FA-6266-4C65-98FC-EEA07AB104A5.jpeg D177CB21-C9A5-4543-A6DC-659C10CDCB2E.jpeg 332A4E59-566A-4984-99B6-4C753762D7B6.jpeg E91BA422-E811-446E-B150-24105230E3A2.jpeg 02156DEA-7143-41E3-9BAC-6EBD6E6459B7.jpeg D6871178-DC57-4924-9CD4-E463BC478C65.jpeg Inspired by Nate here’s all the little silver I picked up over the weekend. Nothing at bargain basement prices but the coin silver spoons I got for less than half of spot. The rest was all a little below spot except the blotter. Cool mini spoon collection. Looks like some salt, some coffee, and a mustard ladle. The S. Kirk ones were a good score. The cherub shoe horn could be plated but I think it’s sterling with the mark rubbed off. The blotter is the star of the show, very happy with that one. Actually the little hammered set with seven pieces is Chinese and I haven’t looked up the mark yet. That one could be good. Plus a gold ring for good measure.

Anyone know the Chinese (or other Asian if not Chinese) mark?

486304FA-6266-4C65-98FC-EEA07AB104A5.jpeg D177CB21-C9A5-4543-A6DC-659C10CDCB2E.jpeg 332A4E59-566A-4984-99B6-4C753762D7B6.jpeg E91BA422-E811-446E-B150-24105230E3A2.jpeg

Figtree3, kyratango, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Great stuff ! I especially love the coin silver spoons. Im curious,are you buying to collect or are you buying to scrap ?

3. J Dagger

Thanks! Collect only. Well maybe sell a piece here or there to make room for new but with silver it’s mostly to collect. I particularly enjoy coin silver. Trying to narrow down my buying to only the very old, unusual, and high end rather than just buying everything that’s priced well. At less than half of spot for a nice big matching set of six and the additional pretty early matching three I had to jump on it though.

Edit: I’ve never scrapped anything in my life. Even if I wanted to I probably could not bring myself to do it. You could run these spoons over in a tank then stick them in a blender and finally dip them in a can of paint and I don’t know if I could bring myself to melt them. I appreciate even beat up old scraps. I have two large weighted compotes. One has a really big bowl and I’m dying to pull it apart and find out what it weighs since it’s not selling but I just can’t.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im so glad ! I myself do scrap ,but only the run of the mill beat up stuff. I keep the good stuff !

judy and J Dagger like this.
  5. J Dagger

Maybe one day I’ll get there. In the meantime when it goes high enough and it comes time to let some of the beat up old run of the mill stuff go I’ll just unload it onto someone else and let them do the dirty work. That’s after they promise me with their fingers crossed, while winking that they won’t.

judy likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

For me it goes Modern + Mass-produced = Melt Me.

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks for sharing these, @J Dagger -- I've been out of town for several days and just catching up on some posts. Otherwise I would have commented earlier.

8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

What a beautiful collection! You did great there, I especially love the look of the hammered sets.

J Dagger, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no, u can't have them...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

J Dagger, MrNate and kyratango like this.
  10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

lol ok hehehe :)

J Dagger and komokwa like this.
  11. J Dagger

Thanks dude! The hammered set is neat, especially under spot. I’m dying to know who made it but so far haven’t found a match for the mark.

I actually just got done with a very frustrating transaction lol. I had paid a lady for a sterling cordial set that I was to pick up at a later date. I think I would have come out at about 60% or more below spot. She decided she didn’t want someone coming to her home after advertising home pickup and agreeing that I would pick them up there. That was fine but I couldn’t meet her at the other time and place she dictated and she was super rude and hard to deal with. I would have to spend 3-4 hours in rush hour traffic if I chose the other options she presented after that. I even asked if she could just put them out on the porch or in the mailbox for me. Without traffic it would be 1.5hr round trip. I ended up asking her to just ship them to me. She agreed to but at a higher price than it would cost to ship. I even offered to pay more than cost where she would have cleared a bit. Over a few lousy dollars I just settled for a refund on principal though. I couldn’t stand her or her getting her way even for what still would have been a good deal. I probably should have just sucked it up but she got under my skin in a bad way. Very sad silver news today. :(

kyratango and MrNate like this.
  12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

That stinks big time. I have had my share of experiences with sellers that have left me shaking my head. The theme that always pops in my head is "umm...you do realize that you posted this and you are trying to get a buyer, so why make this hard?" For reasons that still remain a mystery, I had a seller try to cancel on me at the last minute for these small sterling demitasse cup holders. I went back and forth with them on text message, I guess maybe they were nervous about meeting a stranger? Finally I convinced them to leave them on the porch in a box and I would leave the money there. It was all very odd considering there was a car in the driveway; if you are that worried about meeting with strangers, perhaps posting things for sale online isn't for you. Anyways, sorry that happened to you, the good deals will happen for you, you clearly have a great eye for it!!

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The police dept in my town has a meeting spot under surveillance for people to meet to exchange items if they do not want people coming to their house.
    greg

aaroncab, J Dagger and MrNate like this.
  14. komokwa

I had a guy meet me in the parking lot near his home.....his mom sold me a small inuit carving and didn't want me at her front door !!

J Dagger likes this.
  15. J Dagger

Thanks! That’s what exactly how I left things with her. “If you can’t follow through with the terms of the deal then you shouldn’t be selling things.” I totally get not wanting to meet people at my house when I’m selling valuable items. I often give people just my intersection and have met at a police station before. I have a lot of listings and if you looked at them all you would know where I keep a lot of valuable stuff. She volunteered to show me more silver items she was considering selling after I paid for the cordial set. I’m sure she was nervous just like I would be in some circumstances. I do get that, it was just her attitude that bugged me. She was pompous, annoying, and changed the terms of the deal which is a huge pet peeve of mine. Always more deals around the corner but it’s the ones you don’t get that bug you. She had some cool baskets and candelabras I was going to buy it the price was good too. C’est la vie!

16. J Dagger

I have done this before when selling valuables to people that look like they could either take me physically or run faster than me.

komokwa likes this.
  17. J Dagger

I often just tell people the intersection I live right next to and meet them on the corner. I’ve had two people ask me if I keep all of my items in the same location. I chose not to do business with those people.

Edit: out of the probably one hundred in person deals I’ve done from online sites I’ve only ever had one issue. An older white lady lied to me about the weight of a sliver bowl. I found her image and wealthy suburb location so trustworthy I didn’t even bother checking it on the scale I had in the car. I was pretty new and couldn’t judge weight in the hand as well as I can now. I later asked her for a partial refund online. She did offer a partial one but not nearly the percentage of the total I thought was fair based on original price and actual weight. She refused my ask and on principal I took nothing rather than what I thought wasn’t fair. I’ve met every type of person, for every type of deal imaginable, for sums up to almost 10k in cash for cars, in all types of locations and in the end it was a lady that probably could have been my mother that burned me lol. This lady was very similar actually she was decent enough to refund me in full though.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    komokwa likes this.
  18. komokwa

i google map searched a woman's house in the Vancouver area.

I bought sunglasses from her...that I needed the lenses to fix mine.
    She said they were clear and free from any scratches on the glass lenses, and after I pressed her to triple check, she stated that they were indeed unscratched.
    When I got them, and put them on....there were scratches right in front of my eye !!!!!
    Not to the side...or up or down.....but dead center !!!
    I was really upset !!
    She said she would make it right by sending me a second pair...and she did.
    What I got was a cheap ass plastic lens pair of cheap ass scratched sunglasses , which were nothing like the original pair I bought !!!!
    I got back to her and she pleaded that the 2nd pair was indeed a superior model m but she must have sent the wrong pair...& that no one could really tell if a pair of lenses had scratches on them or not.
    :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:
    She then said she would send out two more pair with good clean lenses.....
    & I never heard from her after that !!

So, for the next time I'm in Vancouver....I know where she lives.!!!!!!!!! ;););)

MrNate likes this.
  19. J Dagger

Hahahaha. Yeh I actually looked up this ladies house based on her name/number even though she met me at a cafe. I was going to tell her I was sending the police to her address because she committed internet fraud or something but ended up giving up instead. It was a valuable lesson learned on my end and was probably worth the lost funds.

komokwa likes this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

...which in my case is pretty much everyone under 90.(LOL) The police station is always a good idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted