Silver Javanese bracelet maybe

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Chris Mount, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Hidi ho all. Anyone have an idea of the age of this bracelet. Stamped 800 with another mark maybe sl has the Javanese I believe characters on it 22mm high each disc. Nice buy I think for 9.95. 15190208668600.jpg 15190208669201.jpg 15190208669742.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hi Chris, I see you are continuing the Wayang theme, yes they are Wayang puppets.:)
    And I agree, a nice buy for AU$ 9.95.

It is a Yogya (Djokja) silver bracelet. 800 is the usual fineness for pre-1960s Yogya silver.
    The workshop mark is not in my list, but that is not comprehensive.
    The bracelet was made in the period between ca 1930 and the 50's, in the old royal city of Kota Gede in central Java. The jewelry and silverware of Kota Gede were mostly sold in the nearby city of Yogyakarta, which is why it is called Yogya silver.
    Up til 1972 Yogyakarta was written Djokjakarta, hence the alternative spelling Djokja silver.
    Yogyakarta is now a royal city, and an important centre of Javanese culture. The term Javanese is confusing, the entire island is called Java, but the ethnic Javanese live mainly in Central Java.
    Maybe this is the workshop mark:

upload_2018-2-19_10-34-50.jpeg

Could be a Z, which is not in my list either, or an N, which is in my list, but the list doesn't mention the name.
    There were, and still are, countless silver workshops in Kota Gede. Now they mainly make exquisite filigree, and very tinny miniatures of street vendors, carts and becaks (Indonesian bicycle rickshaws), that kind of thing.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    judy likes this.
  3. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Sensational as always aj the wayang stuff just seems to be following me which I am happy about I must tell you. 6 months ago I wouldn't have even put Javanese in my title so with that you have taught me a lot of which I am very appeciative. Also surprised at age of bracelet so a very happy camper here thanks again. Chris

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Pleasure, as always, Chris.
    Here is some info on Yogya/Djokja silver, unfortunately in Dutch only, but you can gather the something from clicking on the links in the sidebar:
    http://www.djokja.nl/watisdjokja.html
    Or you can use google translate, but be prepared for some strange translations.;)

Draft saved Draft deleted