Silver Mark Help Middle Eastern?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by cxgirl, Dec 11, 2018.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    This belongs to a friend, wondering if it is silver or plated. Stands about 8"H. The only thing I can make out is Garantee:)
    Any information appreciated
    thanks for looking
    47684135_1989267237821937_7277885330760400896_n.jpg
    48357792_1989264017822259_975753051379859456_n.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like a little teapot from Morocco (or another formerly-French colony, hence the word "garantie.") Typically, they're plated and not silver. An internet image search will bring up lots of other examples.

Debora

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the handle looks kinda rough to be silver...

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, a teapot from Morocco or neighbouring countries. I don't know about any silver plating, since they are put on the fire. They are called berrad.

A Moroccan friend used a berrad for Moroccan mint tea. She would stuff what looked like half a fresh mint bush in that little pot belly, on top of some steeped green tea, and top it up with water and bring it to the boil.
    The procedure is slightly more complex, but this is it in a nutshell. It was a hospitality ritual which she treated with the utmost respect. Her family was originally from Marrakesh, where tradition is important.

About the languages, when she went to school in Morocco in the 60s the lessons were in French in the morning, in the afternoon she would get the same lessons in Arabic.
    Rather cumbersome, but it explains why many Moroccans with some schooling are proficient in both languages. If they are Berber/Tamazight, they will likely speak one of the Berber/Amazigh languages as well.
    I don't know if they still teach school this way.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    komokwa and i need help like this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for the replies folks:)
    that sounds like it would be a good cup of tea:)

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And good company.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted