Silver? Mark? Shot glass?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by J Dagger, Sep 22, 2022.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Found this listed. Interested in it maybe. The mark is an absolute mystery to me. I don’t love the way the edges of the cup look for silver. They look thick and machined vs what I’d expect for a handmade silver item. The mark looks it would be a silver makers mark more than a plated mark if I had to guess though. I believe it’s only a couple inches tall max. Anyone have bay input here? 1B4D1DDE-A66D-48CB-813E-654E4ACAAEFE.png 982F2DC7-B3B1-4A3E-AFBA-B9CEB7B2465E.jpeg CBA15101-5F70-42F1-8271-61688EA39555.jpeg

bercrystal likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The I/O notation means "the normal thickness of silver plating" and in my experience is most often found on the wares of WMF (Germany). What the image above it stands for, I don't know. But we did have a query about another item marked I/O not too long ago and if we can find that thread there may be a hint there.

J Dagger, bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. J Dagger

Thanks Bakers! I didn’t like the looks of that “fraction”. I liked the other look of the other mark but I was thinking fractions usually aren’t good. Then remembered 925/1000 was often used at a certain point and decided maybe not all fraction marks on metal were bad. I can’t even find my own posts sometimes so I don’t know if I’ll be able to find the one you mentioned but I’ll look.

bercrystal likes this.
  4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

WMF 'antler' mark...

~Cheryl

J Dagger, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Since I didn't remember seeing that "antler" mark in any of the online references before, I took a walk through silvercollection.it tonight. And sure enough (not that I had any doubt ;)) there are several images of WMF marks that include this one. Here's one example:

[​IMG]

J Dagger, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  6. J Dagger

Thank you Bakers & Dragonfly! Good one to know!

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted