Silver marks help. On ladle

Discussion in 'Silver' started by J Dagger, Nov 3, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

31B5B7C7-EB7D-4B78-A65C-DF5ECDC99A11.jpeg A29967EA-F5F5-43F3-92BF-74B8E88BC363.jpeg Not sure on these ones. Leaning towards silver because there is a nice coat of arms applied. Could be plated though. The one large mark is illegible. Looks like an S on one end and a star on the other. No clue what the middle is supposed to be other than a rotated Q but that’s not it I’m pretty sure. Only have photos to go on for now.

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You're going to find out that this is silver plated, probably British.

3. J Dagger

The more I look at it the less it looks silver. Not sterling at least. Coat of arms is throwing me off though.

4. Bakersgma

Well, you didn't show us the coat of arms so I have no comment on it. ;)

DragonflyWink likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

6. J Dagger

Your comment led me to a good point.

I didn’t mean that this specific coat of arms was throwing me. :) Just that in my mind it was unlikely someone would bother putting one on a plated ladle. Then it occurred to me, wouldn’t a deep engraving like this cause the plate to peel away on a plated piece? The marks definitely scream plated but now the COA is throwing me more. A85B9478-BC92-4CD6-9276-BC737D8AE1E9.jpeg

komokwa likes this.
  7. J Dagger

Oooh, you are good! I didn’t check he unidentified section!!!

Edit:spelling

8. Bakersgma

I think your assumption that plated wares are unlikely to have a COA because "who would bother" is incorrect, Dagger. Not to mention that engraving would cause the plating "peal off." Dismiss these errors from your mind. Holding on to them will only make you focus on the wrong stuff. ;)

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Plating would not peel off,it is not like a chrome plated car bumper where the plating is "thick". Besides most intelligent engravers would replate the newly engraved areas. There are probably hundreds of older plated nickle silver trophies which have been engraved and replated among other various items.

J Dagger likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

I was making the point that Dagger's thinking about plating "peeling off" is incorrect.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  11. J Dagger

Personally I’ve just never seen silver plated flatware with COA’s I guess. I assume families wealthy enough to be putting their COA on a flatware set are going to be buying silver rather than silver plate. With that said obviously there must be exceptions since I’m looking at one. As far engraving causing silver plate to peel off I don’t know wtf I was talking about lol. I think I was doing crack during the couple minutes it took to write that post. I was actually thinking about some plated spoons I found yesterday that were peeling and forgetting the hundreds of other engraved plated items I’ve seen before that weren’t. I associate the COA’s with these big wealthy European (or newly American) families that would look down their nose at silver plate. Someone’s doing it though!

12. J Dagger

You’re totally right. I had a momentary brain blank with a side of brain fart.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Just to add a bit more clarity - that is not a coat of arms, it's a crest, which would surmount a COA...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Figtree3, Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted