Silver on copper teapot

Discussion in 'Silver' started by alpha_finch, Jan 3, 2018.

1. alpha_finch

alpha_finch New Member

Found this teapot recently at a goodwill store. Despite days of searching I haven't made any headway. If anybody could help identify these hallmarks or the value I would greatly appreciate it. Any input is welcome. Thanks ahead of time :D a2fc60ba-c027-4a51-add6-a0c099a2b407.jpg 20180103_200218.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, alpha_finch!

Afraid I don't have much good news. I just tried to find this mark in 3 different ways (1 hardcopy reference and 2 online sites) and could not see anything even close. Even tried the "unknowns" online. I tried both US and UK marks lists. There is the possibility that this was made in Canada, where the crown and rampant lion would appeal to customers used to seeing these symbols on British silver, but few of those makers are represented online.

Silver over copper was a "trend" in the between the wars period in the US. Previously many manufacturers had used nickel silver as the base metal, but (apparently) silver plating adheres better to a copper sub-surface and manufacturers used the silver over copper marking as a marketing tool.

The styling of this pot is not particularly elegant and with an unknown mark, I fear value is rather low (is your intent is to resell it.)

By the way, marks on silverplate are never properly called "hallmarks." They are simply maker's marks. I know many use the term hallmarks freely, but thought I would point out the error of doing so in this case.

judy, komokwa and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. alpha_finch

alpha_finch New Member

Thank you for the help! I'm quite new to antiquing and collecting so I just assumed I hadn't found the right resources yet. I did intend to resell but I assume that since it is unknown isn't worth too much right?

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. Bakersgma

You should look at sold listings for silverplate coffee and tea pots Ebay and Etsy to see for yourself. And keep in mind that silver and silverplate look their best to customers when they have been properly polished - which this pot is in desperate need of.

5. alpha_finch

alpha_finch New Member

Will do. I have silver polish on hand but didn't want to do anything until I knew what I had. Thanks again for all your help

6. Bakersgma

Good luck! Come back any time.

7. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

8. alpha_finch

alpha_finch New Member

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted