Silver or Silverplate? Originally a spoon?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by KikoBlueEyes, May 20, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I bought this to learn about silver and silver plate. Don't laugh at it, please. I think it was originally a serving spoon that was repurposed as a candle holder. It was happy for me to shine it with a sunshine cloth. I bought a magnet on the way home and it is not magnetic, but from what I gather that is not a definitive test. The salient information I have gleaned is that it says "patent 1955" on it. There are marks after that I can't understand CD1?. The spoon is monogramed "Laura." By the way, while trying to research this I ran across a 2002 comment on a Silver site by @DragonflyWink. I was trying to find out if silver plate silverware is commonly monogrammed. Is all silver silverware individually stamped with a silver mark? I suspect the patent 1955 was about some plating process, but that is just a guess. If you have a minute can you help?

IMG_2230.jpg IMG_2229.jpg IMG_2219.JPG IMG_2221.JPG IMG_2223.JPG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Suspect it was Laura who bent it to its current shape. A monogram is a single initial or 2 - 3 initials combined into one. Will this stand on its own, without the weight of a whole candle?

judy, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Bronwen

The only thing a magnet tests is whether or not a metal is ferrous, iron containing.

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Awww, geez - somebody took an 1850s coin silver spoon and mangled it all up!

I should be able to find the maker, and perhaps pattern in a bit - should know, but my memory just isn't what it used to be...

~Cheryl

Figtree3, quirkygirl, judy and 7 others like this.
  5. DragonflyWink

*Sigh* Gorham's 'Josephine', design patented in 1855...

~Cheryl

Figtree3, quirkygirl, judy and 6 others like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Yes. I think that is why they used a bigger spoon.

judy, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Oh wow. Then it is a treasure. I'm excited. :):):):):)

8. KikoBlueEyes

I will treat it kindly. Not to worry.

quirkygirl, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

10. DragonflyWink

Heh, good to hear that you'll take care of the poor abused thing - what's done is done...

Here's an old post on the pattern: https://www.smpub.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000054.html

~Cheryl

Figtree3, quirkygirl, judy and 4 others like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Platinum jewelry alloys can be magnetic and can also be magnets.No iron included.

12. KikoBlueEyes

I'll shine it up and put it next to my spooner so the other old spoons can commiserate with it. No candles, I promise. Thanks for the link.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    judy, kyratango, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  13. Bronwen

Interesting. What metals do they alloy with the platinum? Or rather, which alloys are attracted to the magnet?

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  14. Hollyblue

KikoBlueEyes, judy and Bronwen like this.
  15. DragonflyWink

May as well stick a candle in it and use it for its new purpose - otherwise it's just a pointless maiming...

~Cheryl

KikoBlueEyes, judy and kyratango like this.
  16. Bronwen

He came up before, in connection with the tension settings. He really has a different approach to thinking about jewellery. I was hoping there would be a photo of the magnetic jewellery levitating. However, did see a couple of pieces @Any Jewelry and @komokwa would like:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  17. Hollyblue

One photo here .......... https://www.imagesjewelers.com/steven-kretchmer/

KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bronwen

They carefully don't say what the other 233/1000 of the alloy is composed of, but the earrings with the magnets are a cool idea. They do bring up a problem with the single piece magnetized rings: potential for corrupting magnetic strips on credit cards, etc.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted