Silver over copper butter dish

Discussion in 'Silver' started by rknarr2, Feb 11, 2019.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

I spend many of many hours trying to find more information about this dish. It really looks old to me and thought it might be a butter dish. I do not know the pattern, who made it, when it was made or what it is made of. I saw something either on tv or computer that showed a different dish where the expert explained to the collector that their dish was made out of copper with missing silver from wear. As you can see from my two pictures the top is really worn off silver and the bottom still has the silver over top of the copper. The expert knew it was copper because of the greenish color tarnish. Here are a few pictures of the item. Thank you for your assistance in this request. Rob
    003small.JPG 005small.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Oh dear, that poor tray (what is the length? looks more like a bread tray than butter dish) has seen much better days. Probably 20's to 30's from the decor. I can just make out MADE IN on the underside, but given condition it really doesn't matter.

Unless the front surface is tarnished rather than polished to death (you could try a gentle cleaning with a liquid or cream silver polish to see if that's the case) it appears to be beyond help and unfortunately worth very little if anything. :(

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. rknarr2

Its around 9 to 10 inches in length. Rob

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Definitely for bread then.

judy likes this.
  5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Cheap import from Japan for the 5 and dime in the thirties. The base metal was not pure enough copper and that is why the nickel plating didn't stay on it well.

judy likes this.
  6. rknarr2

Does nickel plating oxide silver greenish color? rknarr2

7. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The green is from the copper sulfide coming through the thin plating

judy and rknarr2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted