Featured Silver? Pill box for ID.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by 916Bulldogs123, Nov 30, 2019.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Morning all form cloudy California.
    I was hoping to get an ID on this piece.
    Think it is a pill box?
    I don'y find any fineness marks but it does have a mark on the bottom and initials on the figural piece on top.
    1 1/2" diameter x 3/4" height
    Mikey

atree 22289.jpg
    atree 22290.jpg
    atree 22266.jpg
    atree 22267.jpg

judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Good morning Mikey, from cloudy Hawaii! I don't have answers for you, but it's a lovely box! ;)

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I looked for RL & LR in the major reference for medalists with no luck. It only goes to about 1900 & no guarantee this artist was included even if time was right. Thought it was worth a try.

4. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

@916Bulldogs123 - So that we don't make any assumptions, is this simply stamp-embossed, or is it actually repoussé?

5. 916Bulldogs123

Wishful thinking lol. Not a match for lalique lol

Lalique.jpg

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

For reference, my comment from the original thread:

The box is my favorite but can't make much of it. Wondered whether monogram was RL & meant to make you think Rene Lalique. Mark on bottom defies me altogether. If I am not imagining it is there, the peacock, along with the diadem, indicate this is Juno/Hera.

7. 916Bulldogs123

it is hard for me to tell. the figure is actually a separate piece attached to the top so i can't see the backside of it.

Bronwen, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  8. Bronwen

Design appears to be on a separate piece; may be hard to determine. Also makes me suspect same maker made same box using plaquettes with different designs.

9. Bronwen

What he said.

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Mikey,
    I had a similar box with a lion head on the cover. It was purchased in the MMA store in the 1970s. It was the one thing that did not contain the MMA stamp. I kept
    my "weed" seeds in it. I gave it away about a year ago.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

11. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

Thanks. I really asked only because embossing usually involves a double-die process which precludes edges "waving," owed to the backing die (Mother). This seemed that it might actually be repoussé - pitch or sand-backed - because of the unevenness of the edge here:

upload_2019-11-30_12-55-47.png

Figtree3, KikoBlueEyes, judy and 3 others like this.
  12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like it was die stamped,using progressive dies to make the top half appear to be a coin.

13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I know. I thought it was Mercury, like on the old dime..

Looks like the solder job was slightly incomplete on the edge?

Bronwen, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you all for your interest in this piece. Especially Bronwen for the I'd of the figure. If you stare at something long enough your eyes can play tricks on you. But looking closer at this mark it looks more like letters rather than a mark. I'm seeing HKG. Or am I imagining it? I hope @Bakersgma chimes in

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Initials of the artist who designed the female figure on the top,maker's mark on the bottom of the piece.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Good morning from cloudy and cold Washington, Mikey! Been away since Wednesday and got home last night, so I'm just starting to catch up on new threads and new posts.

I can see where you see the possible HK (and maybe G) but it isn't speaking to me, I'm afraid. Without any other visible indicators, I have no ideas. Sorry/

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Bakersgma

Whoa, I just zoomed on it again and am wondering if there are some really tiny letters below the HK?

Bronwen likes this.
  18. 916Bulldogs123

There is nothing there. But now I can see it is plated, or at least the top is. Shows wear and the brass or copper showing through.
    Thanks for looking. My Thanksgiving was just ok. My mom is bed ridden now and her caregiver was out sick all last week.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Bakersgma

Oh dear. I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom, Mikey.

20. Smudged

Smudged Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted