Featured Silver? Plique a Jour letter opener

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KSW, Apr 9, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This arrived in a lot of jewellery. Amateur research tells me the glass in the handle is plique a jour ( sadly damaged) but I have drawn a complete blank on the marks. It could be a rubbed 925 (or not ) followed by some more stamps.
    I’ve looked through foreign hallmarks but it’s like looking for a needle in the proverbial without some idea of where to look.
    Any ideas of origin please or if it has age or is a modern touristy piece. Thanks for looking :)
    B017DFEE-88D9-4E72-BF6E-45EC8D17FB36.jpeg B6E20766-7EC0-468C-9DF1-4B1BB2073778.jpeg 8B85E71A-7E80-4A22-88D2-E24CCFB35DE0.jpeg 7E0CB7B5-4569-4C44-B911-C44A83288452.jpeg 5221B50E-C8F9-4D13-B32C-CC2ECEFA93C9.jpeg 617295F6-325A-466A-B6BB-DB395DB43CB0.jpeg 1AC15D6B-B322-4CF7-81F2-EFD3F0B0280B.jpeg 610B8517-855E-44A6-B875-7A531F839C14.jpeg
    B809E65A-8270-4CF0-AB10-42261B806F4D.jpeg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Looks like a Norwegian silver mark, style looks right for Norway too.

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

How do you do that INH?. You are amazing! I searched high and low and came up with diddly squat!

Any Jewelry, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Am I right in thinking David Anderson did lots of lovely enamel things?. Blasted shame this is damaged.

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I believe that is his mark. I bet @kyratango can help. You can probably find some plique repairs she’s done.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Certainly shows the fragility of plique a jour.

8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

This is said to be David Andersen mark:
    [​IMG]
    @DragonflyWink will know for sure!

KSW, I indeed can repair your nice antique plique à jour for free!
    PM me if you are interested:kiss:

9. kyratango

10. kyratango

Any Jewelry, i need help and judy like this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

My goodness Kyra............always knew you were special, and your kind offer shows just how special you really are!.:cat::cat::cat:

12. kyratango

13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Awww, such a shame about the damage - but Kyra will make it better (lucky you)!

It is a David Andersen mark, late 19th-early 20th century, here are three of my DA spoons bearing the same mark, the bottom with plique-à-jour finial and bowl:

[​IMG]

~Cheryl

14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

@kyratango thankyou for your incredibly kind offer!. I would love to take you up on it and will message you.
    Apologies for the radio silence since you posted, I was out working with almost no reception and just got home.
    This is indeed a wonderful forum with such generous people. I’m excited to own a David Andersen piece but more excited that it will be a Kyratised Special Edition!

BoudiccaJones, J Dagger, judy and 6 others like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou Cheryl, they are beautiful spoons, the snake is gorgeous as is that cobalt blue enamel. DA did make some very special pieces.

judy, kyratango, i need help and 2 others like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, K.:happy: You, or the fabulous @kyratango , will show us the kyratised result, won't you?

Norwegian enamel is amazing, even Fabergé employed Norwegian enamelists.

judy, KSW, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Love that one, Cheryl. I love snake symbolism almost as much as I love dragons.

BoudiccaJones, judy, KSW and 3 others like this.
  18. DragonflyWink

judy, kyratango, KSW and 3 others like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Of course! I never made the connection (duh).
    I am more of a Jaguar E-type girl myself. Or Volvo, when it comes to 'regular' cars. My muscles don't like Volvo anymore, so I traded my last one in for a more muscle friendly car years ago.

judy, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  20. DragonflyWink

Took me a while too, knew I'd seen it before...

Ahhh, my dream car (that buttery yellow color), my brother had one for a while - said the constant upkeep was killin' him, so sold it for a nice profit.

~Cheryl

judy, bercrystal, kyratango and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted