Silver ring - help with stone, age and maker marks please!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bec-lou, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Bec-lou

Bec-lou Member

I’m trying to identify the age of this ring. And I’d love to know what the stone is, and who is the maker!

This ring has some initials on the inside. Looks like ‘I.I.M’ but I can’t be sure. then ‘Sterling’ and ‘England’. All look hand-written. I’ve tried to show this in the photos.

There are no usual hallmarks..

There are two tiny sparkly stones either side.

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

C792308F-88ED-4B62-AD9D-B817571E5142.jpeg A306AD67-FAA1-42C5-AD36-0FBBAD4637DA.jpeg 5D242AC4-B155-4EFB-96FA-E5DE5B85B7A1.jpeg 9E4439A6-B509-4EE1-BABC-5DA092B0F99D.jpeg FB523560-3E77-4177-8AAD-F4F2D6B2A736.jpeg

stracci and KSW like this.
  2. Generic_Lad

Generic_Lad Active Member

Center stone is probably some variety of quartz or onyx -- probably onyx

The stones to the side are known as Marcasite (in reality are Pyrite)

It is unusual (but not unheard of) that an English ring would be marked STERLING rather than properly hallmarked -- but probably was exempt due to the low weight of the piece if I'd guess -- I'll try to see if I can find anything else

3. Generic_Lad

Marks may be TLM for Thomas Lyster Mott ? Which would put your piece in 1930s/1940s which seems correct stylistically

Bronwen, Bec-lou and DizzyDaff like this.
  4. DizzyDaff

DizzyDaff Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

very pretty ring :angelic:

Bronwen and Bec-lou like this.
  5. Bec-lou

Bec-lou Member

Wow, thank you so much. I just had a quick google and found and extremely similar one sold on Etsy - TLM, with onyx, also marked the same.

Bronwen and Generic_Lad like this.
  6. Bec-lou

Bec-lou Member

I also have a little TLM charm. It is one of the country map shaped ones, with Barbados across the middle. Do you know anything about these? It’s just that I’ve noticed mine is spelt ‘Barbados’ but others I’ve seen on the internet are spelt ‘Barbadoes’. I wondered if it’s just because mine is not as old? And Barbados changed spelling? Or fake?!

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Generic_Lad

I have seen both online, they're just your standard enamel charm. My guess is that "Barbadoes" is an older spelling similar to Roumania or Rumania vs Romania

Given that Barbados comes to English from Spanish/Portuguese (both meaning "the bearded ones") its not uncommon for there to be multiple spellings

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I think the very soft facet edges and the striations in the surface suggest this is likely moulded glass. Possibly a replacement stone for a damaged original.

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The striations made me think it might be jet.

kyratango and Elen Beattie like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Any Jewelry, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Mott is best known for morpho butterfly wing jewellery and hand painted stuffs.

Draft saved Draft deleted