Silver Sieve Stamp ID Sought

Discussion in 'Silver' started by lizjewel, Jul 28, 2020.

1. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

Whose-what mark is this on a heavy silver sieve? This mark is incredibly tiny. As my DH just bought a microscope with a camera (and light!) that can take pictures sent directly to the computer, he was able to get it this clear. Clearer than that is probably not possible.

What does it say? My best guess is CHEC on middle line. Top and bottom lines are guesses only, too blurry.

If I were to hazard a guess as to origin of this sieve I'd say Czechoslovakia. Sometimes abbreviated CHECH or CHECKO on jewelry I have seen. Am not sure if it's sterling or not, it's pretty heavvy, 7 1/8" long, square bowl 2"+ 1/16" irreg.

I thought it might be an absinthe strainer/sieve but experts in such a forum assured it it wasn't. So it's a sieve for tea or whatever.

Any assist with ID based on the mark/stamp is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
    [P.S. Didn't find this stamp on .925-1000 site :arghh:]

absinthe-sieve1.jpg absinthe-sievee-stamp.jpg absinthe-sieve2.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like a piece of a Mexican stamp, but .... dunno. Usually when I see a mark that small i'm looking around for more Portuguese marks; they took fiendish pleasure in hiding their marks. Still do.

3. lizjewel

Thank you @evelyb30 ! Sometimes we profile our finds by the company they keep. To that end this sieve arrived with the same lot as a complete service of Francois Frionnet s.p. flatware. The sieve was the only piece in it that was not by F. Frionnet. However, since it was a French make and may have once belonged to a French owner originally, I thought that the sieve could be French also, by the company it kept. But that's only a guess of course.

The handle design pattern I seem to have noted before, on Jugend-stil German manufactured ware from before WW II, late 1920s, early 1930s approx. But that is also a guess. The design is fairly generic and may only have been made on occasional pieces like serve ware.

Any better guesses than mine? Please keep them coming!

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think you should stick with French silver plate.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The word at the bottom seems to say France.:)
    Jugendstil is German style Art Nouveau. By the late 1920s, early 1930s they were well into the Art Deco period. Art Deco in Continental Europe started ca 1910. It wasn't a clean break from Art Nouveau/Jugendstil, there were still Art Nouveau items being made.
    If this is a French piece, it is more likely to be Art Deco.

Jugendstil itself has two 'branches', one is French inspired, with elegant floral and feminine shapes, the other has that bold, more linear look which you have seen.
    No doubt the linear branch of Jugendstil contributed to the development of Art Deco.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  6. lizjewel

Thank you, AJ! That's what I'm talking about. Which is why it's difficult to separate the two. I avoided calling it Art Deco for this reason. Nouveau and Deco, as you rightly pointed out, overlapped some. I'd be interested in which silver manufacturer used this very style regardless of country.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You may never find out, there is so little to go by. I tried to tweak the photo of the mark, but it didn't add to the info.
    For what it's worth, I think it is a sugar sifter.

8. lizjewel

Thanks again, @Any Jewelry ! Sugar sifter makes sense. It's really too long and heavy, and with the wrong cup shape too to be a tea strainer. It'd be difficult to rest a square shape bowl over a teacup I'd think.

Sugar sifters are not much in use in modern times. I guess most sugars, what little we use these days, come already pre-sifted now. We use maple syrup and honey for sweetener in foods, baked goods. So the sugar sifter can now join the buggy whip in the archaic items department. Still a nice piece though. Maybe someone still sifts sugar, or something, and can find a use for it.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Someone may find a use for them sooner or later, but buggy whips ... are pretty much useful only if you have a buggy. (or enjoy what are called "alternate sexual practices") This would work well for lifting food out of liquid; alas it's too wide to fit in my olive jar.

Draft saved Draft deleted