Featured Silver spoons, Arabic marks?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ownedbybear, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Who's got good eyes? I think those are Arabic numerals but I can't make out the marks.

C28C.jpg C28B.jpg C28A.jpg

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

The mark on the right looks like the Dutch sword silver mark, @Any Jewelry ?

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Can see why you considered Arabic: left hand mark in first pic resembles an Arabic 18.

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

AHA! Thank you both. Yes, I'm so used to seeing Arabic marks, that it confuzzled me.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, Dutch.:)
    The shape of the sword is slightly different in different periods. The outline of this one looks like it is the post-1953 sword. If so, you should find either a tiny 835 or 925 mark along the length of the blade. Contrary to popular belief you will never find an 800 mark.
    The maker's mark look like YK, I'll see if I can find it, I'll look for anything with a Y. For some reason the database I use doesn't see any reason to put marks in alphabetical order, or include a search option.:rolleyes:

Although many of our over 10% Dutch-Indonesian population have Arabic roots as well (Spice Route), Arabic is not used to mark Dutch silver.:D It might be an idea though.:cool:

7. Any Jewelry

While looking for anything with a Y, I came across GVK. I am so glad they never put the marks in alphabetical order.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    Ok, not a Y, but I think this is it. It is a VK inside a G, for Gerritsen&van Kempen N.V. in Zeist, 1926-1961.

[​IMG]

If it is the post-1953 sword, we can date this to between 1953-1961.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Excellent find, AJ! So often I find things I didn't expect that turn out to be correct!

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I often find the answer to a question I've abandoned as hopeless when looking for something else altogether.

upload_2019-6-22_16-13-47.png

10. Ownedbybear

11. Any Jewelry

That is usually the way it goes. Or you think, I have one of those, and spend a day trying to find it. But the joy when you do and can put that little piece of paper with info in the box with it.:) After it has been on display on your desk for at least a week, of course.:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted