Featured Silver Spoons & Knife Help

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Marie Forjan, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I came across these today and I was hoping the boardies here could confirm my IDs or or point me in another direction if I am wrong. Many thanks for any help :)

#1 - Teaspoon, Sterling, Dublin, 1954. What I think should be the maker's mark is impossible to read, it looks like just a blob to me. I did find a completed listing on eboo from an earlier date but the marks were very different, this is the link to the listing:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Ir...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

DublinSpoonFt.jpg DublinSpoonCU.jpg
    DublinSpoonMrks.jpg

- Demitasse Spoon, Sterling, Gorham:

GorhamBgPipeManSpoonFt.jpg
    GorhamBgPipeManSpoonMrks.jpg

#3 - Engraved Butter Knife, Sterling, Sheffield, Mappin & Webb, 1890. What does the mark after the M&W mean, could that be a retailer?

MapinWebbBtrKnife.jpg
    MapinWebbBtrKnifeMrks.jpg

Iouri, Any Jewelry, aaroncab and 4 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The mark after the M&W looks like the design registration number.

3. Bakersgma

4. Marie Forjan

OOOO! Thank you Bakersgma, it measures 5" :)

5. Bakersgma

You're welcome, Marie!

About the Dublin spoon, you're right on 1954, but I can't make heads or tails of the maker. The one on the ebay listing (IJM Ltd) is so "minor" that the British Maker's Mark site doesn't have anything on them besides the IJM Ltd name and that it was found on a spoon. :rolleyes:

6. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

M&W is indeed, for Mappin & Webb, a very famous British silversmithing firm (still around today). They would've been both the manufacturer AND retailer, so I'm not sure what the other mark would be. I've seen loads of Mappin & Webb stuff over the years.

aaroncab likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i've been in their store..

8. Marie Forjan

Thanks on this, the maker's mark is absolutely unrecognizable so I am I sure I will never know. But I really appreciate the confirmation on the date code :shame:

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted