Featured Silverplate filigree Russian (?) tea glass holders

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lucille.b, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I assume these are vintage Russian (?) tea glass holders, silverplate, have a few questions.

Not sure how to interpret the writing on the base of the holder. Each is marked on the base as shown (last 2 pics). Is that "U" letter Russian?

It will not be me doing it, but can these ever be polished? No idea how you would get into that filigree section.

One glass has a chip on the rim, the other glasses have perfect rims, but a few scuffs on the outside near the base. The holders are actually in great shape other than the severe tarnish and oxidation. They certainly look nice with the glasses, but now I am in a bit of a quandary, due to the damage on the glass, should I just sell the holders separately? Would certainly make the set a lot lighter to ship.

The glasses are an exact match in size with the holders, but I'm thinking they might not be all that high end, maybe not even that old. Thoughts?

aglass.jpg aglass2.jpg aglass2b.jpg aglass3.jpg aglass5.jpg aglass6.jpg aglass6b.jpg aglass7.jpg aglass8.jpg aaaa.jpg

pearlsnblume, judy, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  2. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

The writing on the base is Ц. 7.50 (price 7.50 rubles).
    The glasses are typical Soviet crystal, nearly every family had those.

pearlsnblume, Figtree3, judy and 6 others like this.
  3. April07

i dont think they are silver plated must be german silver
    like this [​IMG]
    or this
    [​IMG]

pearlsnblume, Figtree3, judy and 6 others like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Thanks, April07.

That certainly looks like them. Where did you find those links if I can ask?

Trying to get an estimate of value, if worth listing or not. German silver isn't really silver if I'm correct.

So the price would be stamped into the base? (Just wanted to confirm. Thanks.)

Additional thoughts welcome.

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

German silver is an alloy. Also known as nickel silver.

pearlsnblume, judy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  6. April07

In the Soviet Union the price of most of the products was stamped or printed on them (regulated economy :) )
    German silver is not silver.
    I am not sure the links will be very helpful because they are from Russia and Ukraine. Pricewise not expensive because it was a mass production
    https://besplatka.ua/obyavlenie/podstakanniki-iz-sssr-melhior--130ed6
    $9
    http://artandbooks.ru/products/antikvariat/product-podstakannik-skan-filigran
    $22 (I think that's overpriced)
    https://youla.ru/moskva/dom-dacha/p...ghran-mielkhior-sssr-5ae5c3e102a55875241b7c3c
    $10

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Lucille.b, Figtree3, judy and 3 others like this.
  7. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

They are melchior. Lower than nickel silver. The mix includes zinc which will never shine again.

i need help, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  8. April07

I thought that it is German silver that includes copper, nickel, and zinc. Could you please specify the difference.

i need help, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice tea glass holders, Lucille. I love filigree.:)
    It can be confusing. In Europe Melchior used to be a cover all term for several base alloys which include German silver. The name was first coined in Italy, but the alloys are of French origin.
    Melchior is mostly used in Russia, where it is a copper alloy with some nickel, manganese and iron.
    German silver (alpaca, nickel silver) is copper, zinc and nickel. The copper percentage is not as high as in Melchior.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

My grandparents had similar ones, but the glasses were not as fancy if I recall right. I remember them sipping hot tea with them and having a sugar cube between their teeth to melt a bit when they drank.
    That doesn't help you at all, I know, but it reminded me of an old memory.

judy, Barn Owl, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Thank you @April07 for posting the links. :happy:

Also appreciate the additional eyes on this. Was helpful.

Thanks.

12. Adrienne McClary

Adrienne McClary New Member

I beg to differ Melchior will indeed shine up. I used bar keepers friend and a toothbrush and mine are absolutely beautiful.

Lucille.b, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  13. WCMJerseygirl

WCMJerseygirl New Member

I have 2 exactly like these. I didn't buy them with glasses. They have the M 750 marking on each. I bought them in the Soviet Union in 1971. They tarnish but clean up with silver polish. I do not know their value but am trying to find out. If anyone can give me a price at which they are valued, I'd consider selling them.

14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

We do not do valuations here. Since you know what you have, you should be able to search the web and particularly sites like eBay with your details in order to find sales to use as a guide in pricing.

Draft saved Draft deleted