Silverplate rust question

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Marko, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

s-l500 (2).jpg I recently passed on a huge set of silverplate in a chest for $35 at my local flea market. In retrospect, I should have gotten it, I guess. Some pieces had rust, not verdigris, on some pieces. Some pieces had golden brown spots that looked like they might go into rust or be beginning rust. Is there a good way to remove rust, or will the metal underneath be different? I didn't want spotted silverplate. The set had 12 dinner forks, salad forks, Donner knives, teaspoons, etc....76 pieces. It was this pattern, Daffodil.

kyratango likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The rust will have come through from the base. So it would be spotted. Barkeepers Friend would clean the rust, but you'd have to replate.

kyratango likes this.
  3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thanks....I had a feeling it wouldn't be right.

komokwa likes this.
  4. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Just call you "Daffy." Yes, you should have, if you like it. Unless you absolutely NEED 12 of everything all spotless and serene, by next weekend, $35 is not a bad price.

And there is this: if the spots afflict X number of pieces, "Daffodil" is very available* on eBay, so one can fill in. :)

*I hope that having said this, that silver buyers do not devolve on Daffodil, and I have to eat my words.

kyratango likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Rust spots can be passed from non-silverplated items stored in contact with silver or plated pieces that were put away wet. True rust can only develop on items made of an alloy containing iron. The spots on that set could not spread

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I think the forks and chest were worth the $35....even if some were rusted. I didn't trust the chest due to rust spots....we have a lot of mold issues in our region. I just wasn't feeling it.

komokwa and Ownedbybear like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and you were right to pass on it.....;)

silverbell likes this.
  8. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

LOL! What Komokwa said. You gotta feeeel it.

Besides, it's winter. Daffodils are Spring. :)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted