Featured Silverplated tea strainer by Deschamps Brothers

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Brian Warshaw, Apr 16, 2023.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

The tea strainer has a hexagonal swinging strainer and a round slops bowl, with very nice rolled top and pouring lip. The handle is most probably Mahogany and has short split (10mm) where it joins the bowl.

In its 100-years of life it has worked hard and the base is scratched. The bellow on the bowl has a number small dints, nevertheless the silver plating is intact.

Length handle side 15 cm
    Bowl diameter 7 cm
    Height 6 cm
    Weight 62 g

There is maker’s stamped mark on base of bowl “D Fes under a cockerels head” and also a thinly scribed “992” or “266”.

The Deschamps Brothers opened their workshop at 46 rue de Rocher, Paris, in 1923 and went on until 1960.

The final photo is of a different tea strainer by the Deschamps Bothers, which suggests it is Art Deco.

There are two questions I would like answered, if somebody could.
    1) Is mine Art Deco design? [It would fit in well with the date they started working 1923]
    2) Is there anything significant about the numbers 992 or 266?

Thank you.

DFes teastrainer A.JPG

DFes teastrainer D.JPG

DFes teastrainer H.JPG

DFes teastrainer C.JPG

DFes teastrainer B.JPG

DFes teastrainer I.JPG

DFes teastrainer I.JPG

DFes teastrainer M.JPG

DFes teastrainer L.JPG

alternative.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Where do you see the numbers you are asking about? I do not see them in any of your pictures.

Brian Warshaw likes this.
  3. Brian Warshaw

I've had another go a photographing them and with some success. Between the two photos it is possible to see them.

DFes teastrainer E.JPG

DFes teastrainer F.JPG

4. Brian Warshaw

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not a clue, I'm afraid. May be a model number.

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The numbers are very unclear - are they scratch-marks? If so, doubtful they were made by the manufacturer...

~Cheryl

komokwa and Brian Warshaw like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Neither one of those is Art Deco in design. The second one looks like 1950s/1960s to my eye.

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I'm a tea drinker but I'm having trouble figuring out how this tea strainer functions...?

Looking, thinking, looking, thinking...
    Oooohhh, I think I have it... the strainer bowl swivels and is held over the teacup while tea is poured from the teapot. And then, when the whole device is placed back on the table, the strainer bowl swivels back to sit over the lower bowl, which catches any potential drips.
    Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, I've just never seen one designed like that, neat!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    Figtree3, komokwa, bercrystal and 3 others like this.
  9. Brian Warshaw

Thank you all for looking, and for your help.
    @bluumz They are a relatively common design in France, where this one comes from.

bluumz and bercrystal like this.
  10. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

I'm in France too and while the design on the last image is early Art Deco to my eye - the side arms are too ornate for the later Moderne style in France which would be late 40s-60s and also the handle is a tell - I don't see those definitive design aspects on your piece. It could be 1930s? But my feeling is late 1940s - early 50s. Since your Cie closed in 1960, you're probably looking later Art Deco / Moderne style, but there's a lot of cross over design wise obviously!

Figtree3 and Brian Warshaw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted