Silverware ID Box 2

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Psittac, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

I thought I would do a test run of getting photo's of our silverware and see if I can get feedback on picture quality. It didn't turn out as good as I thought it was going to but I didn't take any time and just grabbed a lamp that appears as if it was to dim. If there is a better shot of something just let me know and I can see if I have a better pic already or I can easily go take new ones. This one is labeled Box 2 but it's the first one I'm posting.

We have a decent collection of silverware but most everyone just want's to buy it for scrap so I'm posting here in hopes that some thing's can be pointed out as more valuable than scrap so we can charge more and in turn deter anyone from scrapping it.

Set #1
    CAP_0417.jpg

CAP_0418.jpg

CAP_0419.jpg

Set 2

CAP_0422.jpg

CAP_0423.jpg

CAP_0424.jpg

2. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

Set 3

CAP_0433.jpg

CAP_0434.jpg

CAP_0435.jpg

Set 4

CAP_0437.jpg

CAP_0439.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

Set 5

CAP_0442.jpg

CAP_0444.jpg

CAP_0445.jpg

Misc grouping

CAP_0446.jpg

This was a quick 10 minutes at my parent's and I'm realizing that I need to take far better photo's in many regards.

Aquitaine and anundverkaufen like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The Set 2 pictures are for Gorham's Old French pattern.

5. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

oh and these too

*edit: I mean what are the chances that these don't get scrapped? The price of silver is $26oz and this is 10oz, even though it's not pure silver..... I just don't know how to keep these thing's out of a smelter. We have so much stuff from my grandparent's that we just need to sell it all and it's hard to do that responsibly.

CAP_0463.jpg

CAP_0465.jpg

CAP_0466.jpg

6. Bakersgma

Set 4 Is International Silver's Autocrat pattern (1923)

7. Bakersgma

I'm afraid that I can't ID any others because of they are out of focus or poorly lit or both. Better pics of marks in particular are needed. I would really like to help, but I've got my hands tied here.

Aquitaine and Psittac like this.
  8. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

Thank you very much for all of the information. This was my grandparent's life work and now we have to sort through it all. We just don't know what we have and I really appreciate your help and that of everyone elses

Oh and no problem on the rest, this was just a practice run. I will get a better setting and light and I learned what not to do this time. TYVM

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Silver is very low right now so if you scrap its not going to be a fortune . Also monogrammed silver is a hard sell at the best of times. I say use it as your everyday silverware and enjoy it till silver goes back up .

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  10. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

I got some better pictures of a couple of them but my back was starting to hurt. Hopefully this is what you needed to ID them. I took many more pictures this time with better light and a tripod so let me know if you need to see something better.

Set 3

CAP_0520.jpg

Set 1

CAP_0526.jpg

11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome to the forums. I can tell that you are trying, but you need to assemble your images in a cohesive manner, with the patterns and their marks clearly paired so we don't have to waste time and effort figuring out what goes with what in the jumble of marks and silverware you're posting. Just take your time...

~Cheryl

Bakersgma and Lucille.b like this.
  12. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

well I can't go back and edit the post's and put the new pictures with them. I can repost each set that I have new pictures for.

13. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

Here is a shoot of what I'm calling Set 3

CAP_0519.jpg

CAP_0522 (1).jpg

CAP_0520.jpg

14. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

And here is what I'm calling set 1

CAP_0523.jpg

CAP_0524.jpg

CAP_0526.jpg

15. DragonflyWink

Set 3 is Simpson, Hall, Miller & co./International Silver 'Edgewood' pattern, introduced in 1909.

Set 1 is Gorham, looks like one of their 1880s engraved patterns - will check a book or two for a name...

~Cheryl

Bakersgma likes this.
  16. DragonflyWink

And the 'Set 3' images are as they should be, clear shots of front and back, good close-up of marks.

~Cheryl

Psittac and Bakersgma like this.
  17. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

Thank you, I don't know what I was thinking with set 1. I was overheating because I had a hoodie and beanie on and was to dumb to take them off lol. But this was the end of the little photo shoot so I was rushed.

Also thank you very much for the information, this is all cataloguing for use in the future when we have the time to actually work on all of this.

18. DragonflyWink

Things got a bit hectic - have only looked through one book, apparently have stashed the others in a box somewhere. Didn't find the pattern, but Gorham's engraved patterns like yours were usually done on either 'Antique' or 'London' (if I recall correctly, 'London' is a bit wider) - they were sometimes given their own names, but were often just given numbers ('Antique Engraved No. _' or 'London Engraved No._'), you can see some of them here:

https://www.sterlingflatwarefashions.com/Patterns/Gorham1.html

https://www.sterlingflatwarefashions.com/Patterns/Gorham12.html

https://www.sterlingflatwarefashions.com/Patterns/Gorham13.html

~Cheryl

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted