Featured Since we were talking about MCM...

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Jaime Riggs, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Jaime Riggs

Jaime Riggs Well-Known Member

I found this interesting necklace, what I believe to be Mid Century Modernist. Never seen one quite like it, pepto bismal pink sphere that looks like it is made of compressed plastic pellets? A few pearl beads, some gold metals ones and black glass ones. No markings anywhere. I don't have an jewelry books, lent them to my mom. Can anyone help with age, descriptive terms for my auction? Wish I could download @AnyJewels brain to my computer, lol. 53005001_992689617587085_1687547231042797568_n.jpg 53083437_776218732755140_1291346539620335616_n.jpg 52887310_362415871031649_2358024263404879872_n.jpg

Attached Files:

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I think just a really fun 50s 60s take on... If those were glass, I'd think Bohemian/Czech/German - they also made plastic beads.

It's charming! {which it has in common with Czech jewelry}

3. scoutshouse

Then there's this sweet thing my kooky aunt gave me at age 7 late 50s - pretty sure it came from Woolworth's as that's were she and my great aunt and uncle bought every single gift they ever gave us :) (matching, of course, for my sister and our two cousins)

2019-03-01 21.33.10-2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

oh you poor thing......nice gift ...but that chain is a wicked hair puller.
    I tried wearing one once...........& it was Ouch this & Ouch that !!!!

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is cute, and nice photos, Jaime. I also get a 50s-60s feel, which doesn't necessarily make it mcm design wise. To me it is a continuation of the general Czech-German style, as scouts said, but not necessarily Czech-German made. The costume joolies will know more.
    No, you don't, you'd find some very weird things in there.:wacky::hilarious:

Jaime, I think you would really enjoy Sibylle Jargstorf's book 'Baubles, Buttons and Beads, The Heritage of Bohemia'. It gives an insight into the Bohemian/Czech bead, button and costume jewellery making tradition, which has had such an influence on costume jewellery around the world. You can still find it second hand for a reasonable price.

scoutshouse and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice. I have some baubles from my grandmother... she always accessorized.I need to take a look see at her stuff again to bring back some good memories.

scoutshouse and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Jaime Riggs

Thank you! I will buy it!

8. Jaime Riggs

I actually really love that! But yes, I remember that chain, always pulling my hair out of it.

9. scoutshouse

Obviously, I have come love it - I'm proud to say I wore it to my 40th high school reunion.

Proud, bc some of the things Weir, Mary Belle and Selenabel gave us were a bit... Well, they were just very eccentric. But I felt so bad the year my cousin refused to even try on the dresses they gave us.

They'd attached crochet to the ends of the sleeves - it became part of my wardrobe.

Any Jewelry and Jaime Riggs like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted