singer 96k60

Discussion in 'Tools' started by F&C, Jun 3, 2021.

1. F&C

F&C Well-Known Member

does anyone know what kind of machine this is, I know its an industrial factory one missing its walking foot, there's nothing online except parts listed for sale, its biggter than the cast iron home models $_57 - 2021-06-03T151547.036.jpg $_57 - 2021-06-03T151534.377.jpg $_57 - 2021-06-03T151523.666.jpg 231958434alt1.jpg $_57 - 2021-06-03T151506.602.jpg $_57 - 2021-06-03T151454.965.jpg

2. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Born2it and Aquitaine like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You can date the machine from the serial number. She looks like someone rode her hard and put her away wet as it were.

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Definitely an industrial machine. The model number is on the plaque on the side.

This one has been VERY heavily used, and looks like it has suffered BADLY from pin-rash. Only years and years and decades of daily use would cause that, so this would almost certainly be used in a manufacturing setting.

quirkygirl and i need help like this.
  6. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

In the old days, seamstresses and tailors would button or sew a pad of cloth around the top of the sewing-machine arm, and they'd use it as a pin-cushion, to hold all the pins that they pulled out of their work-fabric as they fed it through the machine.

You're talking dozens, hundreds of pins a day in some cases, over and over again. To save time looking for their pin-cushions, they'd just stick it into the homemade pin-cushion they buttoned around the machine.

[​IMG]

The constant, nonstop jabbing of driving pins through the cushion scrapes and scratches the enamel paint, and the decals underneath, because of the sharp, steel pin-points. It causes what collectors call "pin-rash"...

[​IMG]

That's what your machine has. But to get it as bad as what's up in the OP's post means that it was happening EVERY DAY for DECADES to completely scrape down the paint right to bare metal like that. It can happen, but it takes real dedication and hard work to do it.

quirkygirl, i need help and SBSVC like this.
  7. F&C

F&C Well-Known Member

Thanks i'd never have known that. seems to still work, im wondering why the lever for the foot is on the outside, I thought it should be a needle fed machine but doesnt seem to be, its about twice the size of the normal singer moels

Draft saved Draft deleted