Featured Singer sewing machine

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by mr_joe, Jul 14, 2019.

1. mr_joe

mr_joe New Member

Hello everyone, my first post here. We have a really old sewing machine made in 1906, after our grandma. Sadly we have no place/usage for this machine, so we were wondering what's the average price for this machine. It's little dusty, but still working!

Pictures included, thanks for every helpful reply!
    66430793_417092692224262_1836767614815174656_n.jpg 66477025_879056395797462_4222723978986258432_n.jpg 66583002_1281337048657312_860174828609470464_n.jpg 66699227_2338301486264220_3457435045348769792_n.jpg 67156454_1217573151747388_3393473812556152832_n.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, mr_joe.
    Great sewing machine, and great photos. We don't do values here, but we can usually find similar ones for sale, so you have an idea.
    Remember, prices depend on region, sales venue etc.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Mr_Joe!

Welcome to Antiquers.

Google Ebay's completed.....Singer antique treadle sewing machine with wooden dust cover, to find a comparable price.

George Chaney, KSW, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  4. mr_joe

mr_joe New Member

Will do. Also, is there a way to find an artist of a painting?

KSW, pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You can post photos of the painting in our Art forum.

KSW, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  6. mr_joe

mr_joe New Member

oh okay, thanks alot

KSW, pearlsnblume, judy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

In that condition - $150.00 and under.

It's got plating loss, decal loss...plus, it's a very common model. Believe it or not, the fact that it works or not doesn't really affect the value. Breaking one of these things takes some real creativity. There's models which are over 100 years old, 120, 130 years old, that still work perfectly.

George Chaney, Aquitaine, KSW and 2 others like this.
  8. mr_joe

mr_joe New Member

This one is 113 years old.

KSW and judy like this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I think that the only way you will find out it's worth to someone else is to advertise it with the price you believe it should bring.

Best of luck, and please let us know if it sells, the price and the area where you sold it.

:cat:

George Chaney, KSW and BoudiccaJones like this.
  10. Shangas

The problem with sewing machines - especially vintage Singers, and most antique sewing machines in general - is that they were built VERY tough. Advertising material for most Singers stated that they were for "HOME USE & LIGHT MANUFACTURING".

That being the case, they were built very solidly. So they last. A long time. Which means there's loads of them around. And prices are all over the place. I've picked up a Singer hand-crank from the 1930s for $20.00. And another one for $30.00. And then you have people like my parents' friend, who bought herself a 1920s Singer treadle for $350.00. But you can get them for much, much cheaper.

Most people think they're worth fortunes, but the fact is - there was a time, not so long ago, when almost every home had one. So they're just too common to be worth much. That's the brutal truth of it. Unless it's one of Singer's REALLY fancy modes (look up "Parour-Cabinet Singer sewing machine" on Google Images), then it's not going to be worth much more than a couple of hundred bucks.

And that's assuming it's in fantastic condition with all the bells, whistles and lights on it. If it has condition or cosmetic issues, the price - low to begin with - drops dramatically. Treadle machines can be hard to sell because they're heavy and take up space. Electric machines sell for next to nothing.

George Chaney, KSW and judy like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ve got one of these and I still use it as it’s so tough it will go through anything. Sadly I only paid £10 without a stand though. Brilliant machines.

George Chaney, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Age doesn't equate to value.

You might want to contact some local quilting clubs.
    See if they would put a notice in one of their bulletins that you have a treadle machine for sale.
    Those old treadle machines are what they like.

Aquitaine and KSW like this.
  13. Shangas

cc49 is correct. Age does not equal value. That's the case for a lot of antiques.

Case in point - I bought one for $150, and another for just $20.00. They really aren't worth much at all.

KSW and judy like this.
  14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

BoudiccaJones, Fid and KSW like this.
  15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

This is the Egyptian Sphnyx model. The artwork on these makes them more valuable. This machine was featured in American Gods- Mr. Nancy, Anasasi, the spider God who is a tailor, uses it.

All of your pieces seem to be in great shape. Singer has a website where you can match up your serial number. Mine was made in Glasgow in 1899. Hope this helps!

16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Mr. Nancy.jpg OPMr. Nancy with his Singer Sphynx
    Mr. Nancy.jpg

17. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine looked for one of these just for the iron base. She took the machine out of it, new wood top and made a side table out of it which she loves. I have to admit, it looks fantastic in her house.

Aquitaine likes this.
  18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

That's been pretty popular around here too (MA). And I have to say that I really like the conversion.

Aquitaine likes this.
  19. Joe-Suf

Joe-Suf New Member

I have an antique sewing machine that was purchased in Mexico in 1955 called a ‘Liberia’
    I have not been able to find out anything about it at all. Has anyone ever heard of this brand before?

20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted