Sir Themi Zammit. First Aid To The Injured

Discussion in 'Books' started by Hachiko, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I know him from Maltese archaeology, he was very important for the knowledge of the country's early history. It's a name I never forgot, Themistocles Zammit.;)

Bronwen and Hachiko like this.
  3. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

Yes very well known and remembered in Malta. He did brilliant work

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

Do you read Maltese?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

No, I don't.:( I used to know how to say thank you and a few other words, but that was all.

Hachiko likes this.
  6. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

Grazzi for your help :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I do not believe that the English interest in Malti was the starting point, but it's a simple translation for Maltese hospital employees.
    the Maltese language is a mixture of Arab from the Maghreb and Arab spoken in Sicily before the Normans drove most Arabs out of Sicily. lateron it was highly influenced by Sicilian, standard Italian, some Spanish due the Aragonese reign in Sicily.
    French was practically only used with the Hospitallers; the Grand Master de la Vallette also gave the name to La Valletta.
    there was little use for such a book because the Hospitaliters were French-speakers for the most part in the higher ranks and the French were also the most important group by building the Maltese defence works and the big and high rooms for the sick that can still be visited.

Bronwen and Hachiko like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Well, that was simple, how could I forget!:banghead::joyful:

Hachiko likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Author's name reads like an anagram.

Debora

10. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

Maltese harbour 1920-1930

Any Jewelry and Boland like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Beautiful, thank you for posting it Hachiko.
    It still looks pretty much the same, in spite of the heavy bombing during WW II, when Maltese civil bravery and the Hal Far Fighter Flight including bi-planes Faith, Hope, and Charity impressed the world.

Hachiko likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

It is a Maltese surname, and of course a Greek first name.

Hachiko likes this.
  13. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

Even to date the port is as beautiful as it was then surrounded by the forts. I was moved watching the video...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

they can lie all...:)

15. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

You seem well versed on the history

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

I remember being very impressed by those enormous fortress walls. I have travelled the world (and the seven seas:joyful:) but I can't remember ever seeing anything like that.

Faith, a Gloster Gladiator that helped protect Malta during WW II:

[​IMG]

Hachiko likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

I love Malta, and I like research.;)

Hachiko likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Forgot to add, I've visited Malta several times, both on business and for pleasure. It is addictive.:happy:

Hachiko likes this.
  19. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

Over the 10 days from June 11-21, 1940, these three Gladiators (really six aircraft used interchangeably) and their dedicated volunteer pilots formed Malta’s only defense against enemy bombing raids. Later in June a few Hurricane fighters bolstered the island’s defense; but still the old Gladiators had to take to the air. "You would take off in a Gladiator with some of the few Hurricanes we had on the island and head up towards the Italians," Flight Lieutenant James Pickering remembered many years later. "Sometimes there would be a hundred plus—clouds of bombers and fighters swarming above. And then, in a moment, you would be on your own—everything else had overtaken you."

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Hachiko likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted