Siver bracelet marked 1000, where is it from?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ratsy Brown, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Hello all, here is a silver bracelet marked 1000. I have tested and it does pass as silver, but the metal has a noticable yellow colour so i am dubious about its purity.
    Anyway, im not sure about the origin or age, though i guess mid 20th century. Quite heavy, weighs almost 60 grams

Happy new year!

F46CCB36-B434-425E-A092-109995030AA8.jpeg DE454CDA-7FA1-42ED-9A52-93097C40ADE8.jpeg F8CB1A76-4D4F-4D8D-8650-9953DDB723A3.jpeg

Aquitaine likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That decoration is called cannetile - fine coiled wire. A fair few countries mark as 1000, and the technique is widespread. I'm inclined to North African on this, I've a similar one bought in Tunisia.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Happy New Year, Ratsy. Beautiful bracelet.
    It is a classic Thai bracelet, we had an antique one like it on the forum before, but the photos of that one were on photobucket, so they've disappeared:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/antique-chinese-bracelet-help.22491/#post-302986
    Yours is not antique, but vintage. Mid-century would be right, maybe as early as 1940s. 1000 fineness is mainly used in Asia. Thai silver marking is not always correct, but they have made 1000 silver items.
    The raised domes are often called Stupas, like the Buddhist buildings, yours has stupas in stylized lotus flowers.
    Here is one with a Siam (Thailand) niello medallion in it of Matcha, the mermaid queen:
    [​IMG]

Obb, Tunisia makes gorgeous jewellery, but also imports a lot. Tunisian made jewellery is usually fully marked with Tunisian marks.
    If I would have seen a beautiful bracelet like this, anywhere, I would have bought it too.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

with the cracks running towards the center the 1000 seems likely...

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Good point, komo, it's soft.

Christmasjoy, komokwa and judy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's what I thought too, very delicate.

7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

They appear to be expansion cracks from over rolling the metal without annealing properly,most nonferrous will do the same thing at different points while going through a rolling mill.

8. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info, very interesting as always. I will give it another clean to try and get past the yellowing.

Draft saved Draft deleted