Featured Six-sided small side table, what era?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lucille.b, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

My D. asked me to keep an eye out for a low bedside table. I think she was thinking more IKEA, but at $2.99 today (GW) thought I'd grab this. At first I thought it was an Asian import but when I lifted it in the cart and got a better look, suddenly the pattern on the side looked a bit Art Nouveau to me --or at least in the style. The whole piece is a bit worse for the wear, the top is separated, and also looks like the finish was stripped. Also inside seems to have all kinds of "shoring up" attempts. It is six-sided, and measures 18" high.

Last photo shows a close-up of the split.

Not a huge investment at $2.99 and needs some work, but curious about the age, style. Newer? Older?

Thanks!

table1.jpg table1b.jpg table2.jpg table3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Is that a stamped on design ?

yourturntoloveit and Lucille.b like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It's a plant stand.
    I would guess the age to be about 1900-1920s.

cxgirl and Lucille.b like this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The six sided look is often associated with the Middle East and India and sometimes these tables are folding.

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm with AF on this. Looks like India to me.
    greg

Lucille.b likes this.
  6. Lucille.b

Thanks everyone! :)

1920's India? Or more modern?

I think we might be on to something if this was meant to fold at one time. I wonder if someone thought this was broken or the folding mechanism broke and something and tried to fix it to "never fold". Would kind of explain the odd interior. It seems like the top is in 3 sections sort of puzzled together, which could have lent to folding. I was wondering why they constructed the top like that. Also there is a large piece of a different kind of wood screwed into the bottom in 5 places which didn't look original. I can't see any way to fold it now, so maybe that is what is going on.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think the screwed in piece at the top was meant to stabilize it from cracking further . It does look rather art nouveau-ish , fix that crack and youve got a splendid little table .

Lucille.b and cxgirl like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing India at all; that sort of pressed wood furniture was hot in the US around the turn of the last century. The crack is just old age.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Great buy despite needing work. This is American pressed wood design from the early 20th century. Probably birch with a mahogany stain.

10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

If I had it I'd take the top to a marble shop and have them duplicate the top in white or pink marble which when installed on the table would look wonderful.

Lucille.b likes this.
  11. Donstoys

Donstoys New Member

I think it has the opportunity to be an interesting piece. Let me know if you see the need to part with it before any one else works on it.:)

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I just wouldn't call that separation in the top a "crack".....a separation from time maybe, but definitely not a crack!!!!

Lucille.b likes this.
  13. Lucille.b

Pretty sure you are correct, Aquitaine, it is a separation. It seems like the top is in 3 distinct sections of wood (maybe for folding at one time?). It clearly was cut to puzzle together. One of the two panels has separated.

Getting it back together is another matter. It seems like the former owner tried a few things (unsuccessfully).

I appreciate everyone taking a look, and the info. Thanks! :)

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's just old age; I'd leave bad enough alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted