SKLO ? Art Glass Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Mar 7, 2018.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

9D39289C-C0A3-4789-A304-02C1C7C4E9DF.jpeg EBF76956-C3B2-4827-8BCF-B8A297259EFC.jpeg 2FBAA08B-BA24-4E90-AF6C-35305367DCA6.jpeg I’m thinking Scandinavian or Czech?

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

or FTD from China?

judy likes this.
  3. kardinalisimo

19A42B41-5426-40EE-BCD7-56B8D3D08C04.jpeg Hope not :)

judy likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I actually have this vase and mine also has good wear on the base. From time to time I've looked for it but can't find any notes so don't actually remember if I found it. I do recall thinking or looking at Swedish.

It isn't in my Czech glass book Hi Sklo Lo Sklo or on this website.
    http://www.sklo-union.eu/

There is or was a site with lots of old Czech glass catalogs so I'll see if I can find that link. It takes awhile to find and look through them as I recall.

Here is mine.
    img20180308_120752.jpg

judy likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

Just as an aside, while looking at the website link above I found a different vase that I've been trying to ID for years so happy day:) for me anyway.

judy, SBSVC and dgbjwc like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

OK I found the site with catalogs and other material. If you go to Glasrevue on the left side from there you can select by year for lots of photos. You can also find catalogs from Sklárny (Glassworks) but it's all a bit cumbersome. There are other great photos in other section too.

https://www.cs-sklo.cz/#

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    judy, aaroncab, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not Sklo, I'd say. You might look at Japanese glass. Much looks very like Murano, but has these off colours.

judy likes this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

that is a great site, thanks for posting it SIS:)

say_it_slowly and aaroncab like this.
  9. kardinalisimo

I’m not familiar with Japanese glass but I was surprised to find that a lot of it resembles Murano, Czech and Scandinavian glass.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, it's very like and often confused for it.

11. kardinalisimo

Unfortunately, Japanese glass makers are not well documented, at least online. But I can find quite a few with labels so that’s a good start.

12. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Have you looked at Mstisov? Similar colors and forms.

13. say_it_slowly

Here is a link to a discussion of some Japanese glass makers. Some of the links work, some don't. Anyway, one of the posts has this vase and it's similar, though not the same, but wanted to post the link.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,8982.0.html

They aren't clear on which but it's one of these three makers.
    - Kamei
    - Hineri
    - Handcraft

[​IMG]

anundverkaufen and aaroncab like this.
  14. say_it_slowly

I just found this on Pinterest however it links to an old ebay uk listing that I can't find so I'm guessing it's an old one.

Anyway, the description that is there says FANTASTIC Sculptural MODERN Vase MURANO Glass 11.75" HIGH Partial LABEL has WEAR

Wish I could see that "partial label" but thought I'd add the info to this post in case anyone has a magic way to pull up old listings.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/367606388313096605/?l=t

[​IMG]

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  15. kardinalisimo

16. say_it_slowly

There is some good information on JI Co over on glassmessages. Apparently Jordan's Importing is JI CO. It may be the maker of our vases as there seem to be some very similar with labels.

This is some info supposedly by two of the children of the owner.

Sylvia Hamowy

THE QUESTION ABOUT J.I. CO. LABEL. THAT WAS MY FATHER'S CO. IN MURANO ITALY IN 1950'S. HE HAD AN ITALIAN PARTNER AND A SHOWROOM ON 23 STREET AND FIFTH AVE. NYC. MY FATHER DESIGNED THE GLASS.

I am happy to hear that Jordan's Importing Company is finally getting the recognition it deserves. Many times I see my father's work attributed to other artists of that time because they do not know the maker.
    My father, Jack Blanco designed all of the glass. He had a partner, Spartaco Colelli in Venice who took care of the manufacturing.
    My father opened a beautiful showroom on the corner of 23rd Street and Fifth Avenue. He hired a decorator and had a cocktail party to show the new designer glass. The showroom was all glass with windows on two sides. It was magnificent. We had never seen anything like it. My father had exceptional taste and was always before his time.

I am the brother of Sylvia HAMOWY and the son of Jack a Blanco.
    My dad was the owner and designer of Jordan's importing company. The factory was in Milan. The company was the largest Venetian glass importer in the USA. In the early 70's, a union took the factory over. Prices went up by tenfold and put them out of business. I've been to the factory in Milan and I was amazed at the artistic talent of the hand blower's.

17. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted