Sligh desk drawers stuck

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jenny PK, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Jenny PK

Jenny PK New Member

374ABA40-F536-4DF8-90BF-DB80C4174F68.jpeg 54CC35E8-5B4B-47D5-BC33-1933E61AE5F4.jpeg 02432699-2E1E-48F6-BBEC-3D6E70FC9FAB.jpeg Hi there!
    I just recently bought an old sligh desk and after much difficulty was able to move it into my bedroom.

1–Does anyone know the model or age of this desk?

2–Thedesk has 3 drawers. The center drawer has a lock - anyone know how to get a key? I’d love to lock it.

3–Oddly, the center drawer opens normally. However, the drawer on either side only open a potion of the way - and both: appear to stop in the same spot. Anyone know how to fix that???

4–the leather top is badly worn. Is there a way to refinish it? It seems to have a clear lacquer over the top.

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Jenny PK and i need help like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

There's one for sale on Etsy that appears to be the same desk and they list it as: "Sligh Chippendale Style Mahogany Leather Top Desk" and say it's from the 2000's. As for the leather, you could try re-dyeing it. I've used Fiebings dye on a couple of projects recently and had good success. If the leather has a clear coat finish, you might need to deglaze it before dyeing. You can use Fiebings deglazer or I've read that rubbing alcohol and denatured alcohol also work, and are much cheaper. As for the drawers, it sounds like they have some sort of stop mechanism. Try shining a flashlight down the sides to see what is stopping them.

Jenny PK and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. i need help

BBED1FA8-118E-4D75-AD04-D82A44437788.jpeg The locking mechanism is possibly controlled by the key for the center drawer.
    A metal tab probably pivots down from the top and catches the wood slats in the drawer.

Jenny PK and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Very nice research. She needs to remove the lock (if she can) and take it to a locksmith to rekey it. To get at the screws there are offset screwdrivers like this available at hardware stores.

shopping (1).png

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Aquitaine, Jenny PK and i need help like this.
  7. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

If it has metal slides like this one on Etsy, it probably has those plastic tabs that you pinch to allow the drawer to slide all the way out sligh2.jpg

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hope it has gold bars stuck in there !

9. i need help

I thought those mechanisms were to remove the drawer entirely, but I thought the photo was as far as the drawer opens.
    Maybe @Jenny PK can provide photos of the sides of the drawers. 717BC036-C61B-4761-94BA-57837AF07A45.jpeg

Fid, KikoBlueEyes and Jenny PK like this.
  10. Jenny PK

Jenny PK New Member

yes!! I think this is the same as this desk has the same model number stamped in the bottom!!! I tried searching for it but didn’t find much. The stamp says lot 1972 but I don’t know if the other seller is correct in assuming 8BF22C48-3E7D-4B1D-94A6-76169EC072E8.jpeg that was the year (?)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. Jenny PK

Jenny PK New Member

Hahaha me too!!!

12. Jenny PK

Jenny PK New Member

1239B8B3-DC5B-4D00-B4DD-9F1C4C734C19.jpeg 66E54C64-5ED3-4FB6-96C7-690055CA6409.jpeg
    Thanks, I can try. I took a picture of the drawer that opens as I expect they are the same.
    Ok, does this help?!?

13. i need help

If you compare your drawer to the photo I posted, can you reach or see the tab shown?

If not shine a flashlight into top of drawer and scan across that extra stat.

14. Jenny PK

Jenny PK New Member

So to follow up...I did eventually get these drawers opens. Turns out there is a horizontal divider that got dislodged on both sides. It was higher than the lip of the desk so stopped the drawer at that point. Popped it in the groove with a screwdriver and fixed!!!! Thanks everyone!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted