Slipware? English, American, or otherwise?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Dec 8, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

14A43089-7890-401F-8C1A-65AB9AB1AD7E.jpeg DB5B0D8A-6DDD-4ADC-8090-B714EA12AE5E.jpeg A0A77526-AAB3-4173-8801-C8E79FE05CA8.jpeg 159C09A6-18AF-443E-9350-15122B131647.jpeg D97C359C-8C60-4CA7-8298-5F55333D8DCB.jpeg Grabbed this at a sale a couple weeks ago for less than $5. Seemed pretty old so I figured it was worth a shot. I believe it’s slipware? The decoration is chipping/rubbing off with age. I believe that can happen depending on how it was made. I’m guessing English but there’s some pretty similar looking (to my eye) early American ones I’ve seen. Pennsylvania I believe is where they were supposedly from. Maybe someone can tell by looking at the clay? Any guesses as to age or origin would be appreciated. It’s pretty beat up but it seems to be because of age and use.

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Maybe fire off an email to crocker farm...if its early american they'll pounce on it.

https://www.crockerfarm.com/contact/

J Dagger and Fid like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not English, imo. I'm not up on US slipware, but this almost looks Mediterranean.

J Dagger likes this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

old Mexican earthenware?

RichardE and J Dagger like this.
  5. J Dagger

I can see that. I think Germany may have made some similar looking stuff too. I really have no knowledge here though.

6. J Dagger

Huh that I wouldn’t have thought of. I’ll do some googling when I get a chance.

7. J Dagger

I should do that. I have a jug I posted about here a while back that someone recommended I ask them about. Maybe I can get two birds with one email.

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted