Featured Slow...Slow...Here we go!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Apr 23, 2022.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good evening silver enthusiasts!

It's been a slow couple of weeks hunting for silver, so I really haven't had a good reason to share anything recently. But that sure did change today! I got a break in my schedule (I've been pretty busy with a few things) and had a chance to spend the entire day thrifting. About half way through my day I found this monster piece from a thrift store I visit from time to time. I hope you enjoy the photos, I'll try to get it polished up tonight and show you how it really looks ;)

IMG_4722.jpg IMG_4723.jpg IMG_4724.jpg IMG_4725.jpg IMG_4727.jpg IMG_4726.jpg IMG_4728.jpg

2. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Nice

cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Roden Bros? Canadian?

cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Nate, in exactly what kind of parallel universe do you shift in between ?, I mean that's unbelieveable

Clearly marked as well

Most places scrutinize everything that comes in

Is it a shop for the blind you go too ? :)

Lucille.b, sabre123, cxgirl and 9 others like this.
  5. charlie cheswick

Hellva find by the way, not that I'm jealous at all !!!!!

Born2it, cxgirl, Houseful and 7 others like this.
  6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Reed and Barton :)

cxgirl, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I wouldn't have thought that was silver at a quick glace. It looks like that Everlast aluminum stamped stuff.

cxgirl, Houseful, judy and 4 others like this.
  8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Charlie, I love your comments :) let me address a few things:

#1. I have definitely been blessed to be in a part of the country with some great stores. With a lot of stores, some small and some big, with some great stuff.

#2. I also want to give you a sense of the level of personal effort I take to find this stuff. You get to see the highlight reel on the forum, but I doubt many on the forum really understand how far I travel and how long I search. I do resell some of the items, so I need to keep track of my business miles (any time I'm driving to a thrift store or picking up a silver purchase, I record using a GPS App on my phone). So to give you an idea of how frequently I'm doing this, I've driven 5844 business miles since January, and this is strictly something I do in my spare time outside of my career.

So yes, in this particular case they missed the mark, but to get "lucky" to find things like this is an excruciating amount of effort on my part to be at the right time and right place. :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  9. charlie cheswick

That makes me understand alot more mr nate, seriously

And there was me thinking it came easily !!

Total respect :)

Born2it, JayBee, cxgirl and 9 others like this.
  10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

As promised, here's the polished photos. I feel like these are my best silver photos so far this year of any post.

DSC_0546.JPG

DSC_0547.JPG

DSC_0548.JPG

DSC_0549.JPG

DSC_0550.JPG

DSC_0551.JPG

DSC_0552.JPG

DSC_0553.JPG

IMG_4729.jpg

Born2it, Lucille.b, Debora and 16 others like this.
  11. charlie cheswick

Wowzer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I no longer think of you as a lucky sod

Artist !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, BEAUTIFUL mate/nate

Born2it, DrPam, George Chaney and 6 others like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

5800 miles so far? That's more than I put on my car in an entire year. Yipe.

Born2it, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes indeed Nate....very artistic photo's !!!!

that puppy looks thik enuf to stop a 38 special !!!!!! WOW !!!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  14. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

On the first photo I had the same exact thought! Congrats Nate. That’s a whammy and a thicky.

Born2it, cxgirl, MrNate and 2 others like this.
  15. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’ll bet it goes for a good deal over melt too. Very unique with the delicate applied leaves on the handle. Less baskety than most silver baskets too. It has an elegant feel to it.

Born2it, cxgirl, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  16. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Mr. Nate, thanks for the mini explanation of your process in finding silver. The basic premise of antique/vintage dealing is simply Buy Low/Sell Higher. Seems so simple, but it always requires Real Work. To a person, everyone in this business shares mostly their wins and it's usually something like "just walked into this thrift". But what they don't say is, After walking into 50 different thrifts, I finally found something in the 51st. Puts it all in perspective. I admire your tenacity and focus. I also admire that beautiful silver basket!! It's just gorgeous.

Born2it, Lucille.b, MrNate and 6 others like this.
  17. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

The 100/2? Does that indicate that it was a 100 piece run and this was no.2? Just curious....

pearlsnblume likes this.
  18. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

My guess is this is the pattern number of the piece. Perhaps this would make it easy to reorder back when silver catalogs were still a thing.

pearlsnblume and cxgirl like this.
  19. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Ola,
    You described this perfectly. I’ll add a couple more thoughts for my specific situation. If I were visiting thrift stores JUST for silver, I would have an incredibly painful hobby. Instead I’m visiting thrift stores to find lots of other things to resell, and I get to pursue my silver hunting at the same time.

20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wowser, well done Mr Nate, your silver guardian angel was working overtime that day:)

the polished photos are always the best part of your posts Mr Nate, you bring out the beauty in each piece:)

I agree, lots of miles driven and stores we go through, but boy, when you find that 'winner' of a piece, it gives us that 'rush' (and hopefully a pile of cash) that makes us keep doing it:)

lol, love this comment Charlie, I'll be chuckling the rest of the day:)

Draft saved Draft deleted