Featured Small American pottery vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by quirkygirl, Sep 21, 2020.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Hello, again :)

Picked this sweet, about 4" (10 cm), hand painted vase up over a year ago (possibly over 2 years ago, now that I think of it), and only recently was able to identify the maker and line. Probably, had I shown it here right after buying it, one of you knowledgeable 'potties' would have recognized it right off.

Turns out, not a hobbyist piece (as I originally thought), but a piece of Weller pottery from a line that (for me, at least), was very difficult to find information on or to see examples. Aurora. Much easier to find examples when one knows the name of the line :rolleyes:

Does anyone know when Aurora was being produced?

I've now seen several examples with daisies, but none mention who painted them ... is this small mark to the lower right of the stem an initial(s) ... C? ... or C and some other initial?

The white spots are glare from the light and not in the design.

Thanks for looking and for any other information you can add ... :)

P1160364(1)(1).jpg P1160360(1)(1).jpg P1160367(1).JPG P1160366(1).JPG

judy, lovewrens, stracci and 6 others like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

My Huxford's Weller book has Auroro (has it with an "o") as 1897 - ?. It only has a few examples, none quite like yours, but does say incised mark.

The artists initials they show beginning with C don't mention that they did the Auroro line. There is one listed without an example of the sig that begins with C which is Cora McCandless but no other info about her.

I'll get the artist's initials up when I can get a few pics for you to compare.

judy, CheersDears, quirkygirl and 4 others like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The Warman's book also calls it Auroro, and Auroral. It was introduced about 1898, but production dates are unclear, likely brief, since pieces are scarce. (all per Warman's)
    I don't know about the initial. It doesn't seem to be anything that would be signed.

judy, Mugzinnys, quirkygirl and 2 others like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

These are the artists beginning with a C name from the Huxford book..

img20200921_112436.jpg img20200921_112522.jpg img20200921_112538.jpg img20200921_112554.jpg img20200921_112610.jpg img20200921_112628.jpg img20200921_112645.jpg img20200921_112701.jpg

judy, Mugzinnys, CheersDears and 4 others like this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

judy, CheersDears and quirkygirl like this.
  6. quirkygirl

Thank you for the real name, S_I_S. :)

I actually did see it spelled with an "o" in several places but when I entered that, Google would ask if I was sure I didn't mean "aurora" ... and not being sure at all ... I went with the Google suggestion. :rolleyes:

Didn't realize that it could have been that old.

judy likes this.
  7. quirkygirl

Thank you! :)

Searching "Auroro" returned pieces that I didn't see before ... can't wait to see what examples turn up when I use "Auroral" :)

judy likes this.
  8. quirkygirl

Hmmmm. I wonder why it wasn't in production very long. Think it was an unpopular style at the time?

judy likes this.
  9. quirkygirl

say_it_slowly likes this.
  10. quirkygirl

Thank you for finding that! :) I often forget that Google doesn't like to show examples from eBay and forget to search there as well.

I think if I were to decide to sell mine, all three 'versions' of the name would be in the title (just to be sure it got found) ;)

Bakersgma and wiscbirddog like this.
  11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

quirkygirl likes this.
  12. quirkygirl

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Thank you for letting me know, Peggy. :)

bercrystal likes this.
  13. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

14. say_it_slowly

quirkygirl and Bakersgma like this.
  15. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

quirkygirl likes this.
  16. quirkygirl

17. quirkygirl

Thank you for posting these, S_I_S! :) It looks (to me), as if all the daisy vases were painted by the same artist. I see what looks like initials on each, but they're not mentioned in either auction listing.

18. quirkygirl

Thank you! :)

19. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

I bought and sold a Weller piece earlier this year, it sold very well - it looked absolutely nothing like this piece ha. It was the only one I have ever come across.

Draft saved Draft deleted