Small Ancient Copper Jug??

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by GMac, Apr 22, 2019.

1. GMac

GMac Member

35E0EE7C-775D-484E-9CEC-026A4E30DF81.jpeg A38098C1-36B0-4A0F-BB12-7609F156D473.jpeg FB58DB7C-C5C5-4197-8609-884F83D8A13A.jpeg This small jug has the right patina, look and weight to it to be of significant age but I have no information on it at all. Wondering if anyone out there can tell me more about it and it’s probable value. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi GMac!

Welcome to Antiquers.........

Please use the Edit button, and choose Full Image for your photos.

Unusual piece for sure.

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

4. GMac

GMac Member

Thanks, just did that. Hopefully better to see.

5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Perfect! Just wait for those who know to pop in! Check regularly, members are all around the world :)

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Poor thing! Looks like some toothy animal mistook it for lunch!

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A toothy animal with little taste for that inviting curled handle. It is in strikingly good shape compared to the rest.

True antiquities just floating around are extremely rare; convincing fakes are legion.

Aquitaine, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Is the riveted base a patch or an added layer? (Can you see broken edges inside?) I am very suspicious of this piece. There appear to be deliberate cut marks on the "deteriorated" rim - and I can't imagine any natural kind of use that would cause that kind of damage. Perhaps a large flaring rim was cut off to create the patch. It may have originally looked more like this, a "hammered vase" from India:
    upload_2019-4-22_9-23-1.jpeg

9. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

me too, so I'm taking a different approach. the bottom has so little wear. The 'antiqued' look seems consistent all over the body, so if it was so distressed around the edges as much as it is (and that would take a LOT of beating and damage to get that type of breakage), the wear patterns would be more inconsistent too.

My impression is not 'fake' but 'nice art piece.'

2manybooks, judy, i need help and 3 others like this.
  10. GMac

GMac Member

Thanks all. Your comments are a great help. I’ll post a pic of the inside this weekend when I am home again. Unfortunately I’m away and don’t have the jug with me. To me, the inside gave it a bit more authenticity to look at with a tinkle of copper greeness. It’s certainly had a hard life though as you point out.
    Any idea of possible age?

Bronwen and judy like this.
  11. Bronwen

You think it may be an authentic...what? How did you acquire it or how was it represented to you? Copper & copper alloys, such as brass & bronze, easily develop 'verdigris'; its presence does not indicate great age.

Any Jewelry and 2manybooks like this.
  12. GMac

GMac Member

Yes understand, it’s just part of a wider picture. The item came from an undisclosed estate lot which is why little is known about it.

13. GMac

GMac Member

Thanks, this forum is great.

14. GMac

GMac Member

Smart insight and thinking, thanks.

15. Bronwen

When a client will not be forthcoming about who it is exactly that requires his services, Sherlock Holmes says he will not take the case. He remarks that he is used to having a mystery at one end of a case, but not at both.

If there is anything more you know/believe/suspect/were told about this piece, it would be both useful & courteous of you to share it with us, so we don't spend time tracking down things you already know, ideas you have already tested & rejected. Was the estate supposedly that of a respected collector, something that way?

I don't know whether even a museum expert would be willing to authenticate anything without being able to see & handle it in person, although they might be able to make a confident judgement of forgery based on photos alone.

So, your assessment:

Define 'significant age'. Sometimes younger members describe an item as antique, then continue by stating they suspect it could be as much as 60 years old. I thought you have been hinting this was an archeological find, perhaps of doubtful legality. Maybe you have something like early American in mind? How does weight come into it? What about the weight makes you think it has significant age?

@Fid

Debora, kyratango and 2manybooks like this.
  16. GMac

GMac Member

What I know is what I’ve shared. I’ve been collecting antiques for over 20 years including 5 years living in London. I know a lite weight repro dud when I see it but am no expert in metals of this kind thus my post. As to age I don’t know for sure but well over 150 years would be my assessment. The clouts/fixings and handle are encouraging to me also. An inside picture when I can provide it may help the forum.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  17. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

150 years ago it would have been well made. I'm seeing a 1960s Mexican tourist item in very poor condition. jug 001.JPG

18. Bronwen

19. Bronwen

I still don't understand how the lip got crenellated that way when all the rest is in quite good condition. I keep coming back to the handle. Smooth, nicely curved & scrolled, slapped onto the side of the vessel with a needlessly crude patch of metal. It seems incongruous.

20. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Buried in the ash pit with the top sticking out

Jivvy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.