Small Art Deco Bronze Ibex Figure on wooden base

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Hunter S., Sep 21, 2022.

1. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Ok so I think this is Art Deco...Base is beautifully made out of wood, I am guessing walnut...The patina on the bronze is just lovely!!! Also the Ibex is very well done...

It is unsigned, but it has a number 77 etched under the base.

It remained me of some works of Johannes Bosma (once again Denmark :happy::happy::happy:), he also didn't sign all of his artwork.

Height: 12 cm (4.7 in) with the base

Wide 6 cm (2.3 in) - Long 8 cm (3.1 in)

Weight: ~ 350 gr (12.3 oz)

Hope you like it (I am sorry for a bit blurry pics...not my finest work)

Bronze Ibex1.jpg Bronze Ibex2.jpg Bronze Ibex3.jpg Bronze Ibex4.jpg Bronze Ibex5.jpg Bronze Ibex6.jpg Bronze Ibex7.jpg

johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could u explain to me how this is Art Deco .....from what period....?

thank you!

Hunter S. likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Surface does not look like bronze to me. More like copper-colored and there appears to be verdigris (greenies) on the insides of the horns and then onto the back of the animal which would be the result of copper getting wet at some point.. Am I seeing something that isn't there?

Hunter S. and komokwa like this.
  4. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

I agree with you both...but don't be so harsh with me :arghh::arghh::arghh:

The base looked art deco...my brain immediately jumps to conclusion that it is art deco...I do not know why...guess I am antiques noobie...that's why I am asking questions :yawn::yawn::yawn:

And Yes...I guess it is copper...the color should have been the biggest clue...however it is solid copper...as the figure is heavy...

At least I haven't said it was a sculpture...I am slowly learning :sorry::sorry::sorry:

I am very sorry...:angelic::angelic::angelic:

So what is it? Please help me learn :bookworm::bookworm::bookworm: and Thank You :smug::smug::smug:

Love

Potteryplease likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I reckon that's a replica of an ancient museum piece.

Hunter S. likes this.