Featured Small Art Glass Vase - Signature Help Please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Mar 12, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Also from the reseller's treasures comes this small (5 1/4 inch tall) art glass vase. At first, I thought California style pulled feather, but when I picked it up I realized that it was highly polished and the blue, black and gold colors were infused into the translucent green glass. For being a little guy, it is very heavy at over 10 ounces. The bottom is unpolished and the signature is etched at the bottom edge. The ""76" is clear and I think the last initial is an "R." I'm not sure of the first initial. I need some help, please. Guesses are encouraged. :) IMG_9606.jpg IMG_9607.jpg IMG_9608.jpg IMG_9609.jpg IMG_9599.JPG IMG_9610.JPG IMG_9611.JPG IMG_9612.JPG IMG_9614.JPG

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Firemandk, judy, TraceyB and 4 others like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Pretty sure this isn't going to be right, especially if it's in California, but it does resemble Richard Golding/Okra Glass

judy, TraceyB, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Ah ha. Off to the search. Thank you.

judy, TraceyB, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

He does fire polished bases though. Can you do a pulled back longshot of that siggie please?

judy, TraceyB and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

I appreciate the help. It's on a curve on a dark blue part, but here goes

IMG_9619.JPG IMG_9620.JPG IMG_9623.JPG IMG_96181.jpg

judy and TraceyB like this.
  6. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

The first letter looks like a K to me.

TraceyB and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Great. I'll try that. Thank you.

judy, TraceyB and lovewrens like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Well I tried to find a KR glass artist, but no luck so far. I looked in the Artists | AACG (contempglass.org), but the KRs are not the right ones.

judy and TraceyB like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ta! It's 1976 but that's not much help.

KikoBlueEyes, judy and TraceyB like this.
  10. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Since as the base is rough with some fritting at the edges, and the signature mark seems to have dropped off the bottom a little I'm wondering if it has been ground down a bit at some point, perhaps to remove chips, or make it stand flat if it was wobbly.

11. Ownedbybear

If it had been ground down, it would have been done properly. I've seen a fair bit of small studio art glass with rougher bases.

12. KikoBlueEyes

Are you sure it isn't 1876? :):):):):)

TraceyB likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Interesting point. The artist had skill and creativity. How they created those stems and leaves and then added the flowers on top while handling hot glass is beyond me. It is not an overlay but within the glass itself. The color combinations are also wonderful. The translucent green lets light through and provides sharp relief to the bolder colors. The most amazing part to me this was all concentrated in a small piece.
    Like many pieces of art glass it is a little catawampus, so if they were intending to straighten it they didn't succeed. :)

TraceyB and judy like this.
  14. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I was thinking afterwards, by an owner, not the original maker.

TraceyB, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Polished or rough bottoms, non ground or ground pontil scars, signatures on the side, bottom, in the glass, all these all seem to be parts of the studio or artist's style. You could be right. An artist in a small studio that never made it to the big time. Thank you.

16. KikoBlueEyes

Thus the poor quality of the grind - making chips. You don't see this part except to examine it for signatures. I had to magnify it a lot as the signature is almost invisible.

17. KikoBlueEyes

I can see why you think it was this source. He seemed to sign everything on the bottom, though. It could be someone who worked in his shop, as there are style characteristics in common with his pieces. I'm really thinking American, though, there is a raft of objects from various parts of the world that end up in Long Beach, since we are a major international port.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  18. Ownedbybear

It's too early for Golding, anyhow.

TraceyB, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

Good point. I liked his stuff! Thank you.

20. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Draft saved Draft deleted