Featured Small Asian style ...prints?

Discussion in 'Art' started by gabatgh, Aug 13, 2017.

1. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

Hello! My wife just came back from an estate sale with two small items. These are well out of my range of knowledge and I've never seen anything like their style so I thought I'd come here and ask about them. Each piece is 80mm wide and 48mm high. Each it mounted to a piece of black paper and then put under glass. The edges are sealed with black tape and the back has thick coated paper. Each whole piece measures 160mm wide by 128mm high and it's 4mm thick.

On the paper in pencil is E.M.G. 1924.

Again, this is really not my area of knowledge. Besides the pics of the fronts of them and the back of one (the other is similar enough not to need a photo) I've included two pictures taken of one of them, taken on an angle to the art to show the depth of the ink(?) on the paper. I'm thinking that this might help in the identification of them.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Paul
    art1_1.jpg art1_2.jpg art1_3.jpg art1_4.jpg art1_5.jpg art2_1.jpg

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Don't know who e.m.g. is/was but I love these. Nice score.

3. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

Thanks. Any idea what type of art they are? I have no knowledge. I've never seen ink that sits like that on the paper, raised such as it is.

4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'm a fairly naive antique hobbyist, and as such I don't know for sure what type of print this is or even if it is a print. I do know that in intaglio printing like engraving or etching, there can be areas of raised ink, depending on how deeply the plate was cut or etched - but these don't look like engravings or etchings to me, and that is more raised ink than I've seen on any etching or engraving.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

These are likely originals. Would think from Japan. Have seen similar before. Think quickly executed work for tourists. The initials and date may be the owner's and date of purchase.

6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Symbolic Mount Fuji in the distance would indicate Japanese. I would also agree with verybrad that these are probably originals and the ink mixed with a granular material to give it the raised appearance. They sell mediums today to give acrylics texture.
    I like them, peaceful, very Zen.

LIbraryLady likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted