Featured small bisque porcelain figurine of a baby eating. Please help!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rycariad, Oct 12, 2021.

1. rycariad

rycariad New Member

Hello everyone!

I’m new here, and I’m hoping you can help me with something, as I’ve had no luck elsewhere.

In the attached photos/album you’ll see a small bisque porcelain figurine of a baby eating. He was given to me by my mum a couple of years ago, before she unexpectedly passed away recently. She told me all about the figurine and why he was sentimentally so important to her. Unfortunately I have forgotten most of the technical details and can only remember the story behind how she came to own it.

The figurine measures 7cm tall, and 4.5cm wide at the base. It belonged to my great-grandmother who was born in Wales in the 1800’s. She passed it on to my grandmother in the 1980’s and when my grandmother passed away, it became my mothers in 2008. Now it’s my treasured sentimental little thing. So I know the family history, but know very little about it’s history as a figurine. For example…

- how old is it?
    - who made it?
    - where did it originate from?
    - what is he eating?

The last point about what he’s eating is particularly frustrating because she called him her “my little (name of food/item) boy.” I’m pretty sure she never used any words relating to sausage (which is what it looks like). Is it even food? Is it a pastry? It’s just so frustrating that I can’t remember his given ‘name!’

Unfortunately, there is no makers mark, and I’ve come to a dead-end. So if anyone knows anything, I would love to know everything about him!

Thanks so much in anticipation!
    Ryan

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    judy, LauraGarnet02, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Hi could it be a teething ring?

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome @rycariad . I think he could be a 'piano baby', but let's wait for the others.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

5. rycariad

rycariad New Member

That’s interesting, but doesn’t sound familiar, sadly. I forgot to include the measurements in my original post.

The figurine measures 7cm tall, and 4.5cm wide at the base.

So too small and light to be a piano baby, perhaps?

thanks!

6. rycariad

rycariad New Member

I just went down a weird rabbit hole about historical teething rings/devices and nothing seems to resemble what he’s holding. I can see where the idea may have come from - his cheeks do look very rosey and his left cheek looks larger… but that could be representative of him chewing whatever he’s eating! Curious little thing.

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It's possible the swelling in his cheek is inflamed gums. For some reason I have yet to fathom, children and animals with toothaches and gum problems were popular from around 1900 through the Depression at least. Given the size I would guess one of the many, many small figurines imported into the US from Europe.

8. rycariad

rycariad New Member

I’m still not sold on the teething angle, but I’ll keep an open mind. By the way, I’m in Europe, not the USA. The U.K. to be more specific.

judy, pearlsnblume and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Sorry, didn't mean to place you on the wrong side of the pond! ;)

10. rycariad

rycariad New Member

Careful, I’m on the right side of the pond! ;)

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

12. rycariad

rycariad New Member

That’s exactly what I thought they looked like too! Considering the figurine is most probably German and from 1890-1910, it seems logical to assume that he’s chomping on sausages. I did know the name of that 2-link sausage but can’t remember right now.

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

different local names. photo shows Bamberger Röstwurst. also Bratwurst etc..

LauraGarnet02, rycariad and judy like this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

PS.
    you can also buy them in Israel :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:.
    the famous Kosher Sausage King of Basel Marcel Hess emigrated to Israel. he made a normal Swiss apprenticeship as butcher and knows how it's done; a rabbi was around for the religious control etc..
    nothing easier than copying a St.Galler Bratwurst that is pure calf meat.:)
    seems he's doing okay; another three butcheries opened with small adjacent restaurants - always sold out year in year out. quality always sells. ;)
    http://www.eluna.com/Reviews/hess_JP.asp

Boland and rycariad like this.
  15. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

Could it be a type of pretzel ? Or a special holiday bread ?

16. Tom Mackay

Could it be a type of pretzel ? Or a special holiday bread ?

17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

forbidden !
    declared as dangerous weapon by Bush junior.
    [​IMG]

18. Tom Mackay

19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Potteryplease likes this.
  20. Tom Mackay

Those that didn't weep...

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted