Small blown glass balls from Japan

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Made in Japan sticker looks to be 1960s plus or minus. Any special name for something like this? Appear to be hand blown. They sort of remind me of Japanese float balls or globes, but mine are smaller and fairly thin glass. Also open on one end and I think the float balls are sealed. These were in a canister I purchased at an estate sale.

ant2.jpg

ant3.jpg

ant4.jpg

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very pretty.:)
    Yes they are, or they'd sink.;)

3. Lucille.b

Thanks. They are kind of well done, even though I don't think expensive when new. (Just realized from the photos that I have yet to clean them...)

Maybe just decorative globes? Not sure what to do with them!

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

These were popular souvenir items sold on the Pacific Coast, made to resemble the old Japanese glass fishing floats (used on their fishing nets) that used to be found on local beaches.

Tourists visiting the souvenir shops often bought them, because they could no longer find the real thing on the beach, and the old ones in the local antiques shops, were considered too expensive!

Yes, just decorative.

5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

People like to put this type of glass ball inside a crystal bowl (decor).

Figtree3 and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Or as their avatar! Are those glass globes in your avatar like these @ola402 ?? Do you need any more? (Hint hint...)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Mine were all made by Blenko. They are float balls with no holes from when people placed them in nets and hang them on the wall (1970s, not a look to my taste). I think they're still in the basement somewhere (but I don't need any more). I used them to fill up an old Blenko dark amber dump bowl. It was really nice, wish I still had the bowl (very mid-mod).

I think someone will buy yours cuz I think colored glass balls are still popular. They can turn the hole to the inside.

Figtree3, Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I have one too which I rest on top of a Blenko floor vase. It keeps me from having to figure out how I'm going to dust the inside of the vase. (Not that I dust very often). LOL

IMG_20220728_161938083.jpg

9. Any Jewelry

Very wise.;)

dgbjwc likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like they were meant to be together..!:woot:

dgbjwc likes this.
  11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've heard of pond scum.....but not a pond ball...:wacky::wacky:

oh.....& @bluumz ......the new avatar is a hoot !!!!!
    took me a sec,,,,, but I got there !!!!!:happy::hilarious::hilarious:

ola402, bluumz and dgbjwc like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

It will probably take me longer.:confused: Much longer.:(

komokwa and bluumz like this.
  14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

bluumz is getting ready to toss the F bomb. It's a term we use in the US. Someone tossing the F bomb is getting ready to say F--- you or F--- this. It's a kind of cute play on an obscenity.

Figtree3, komokwa, bluumz and 2 others like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Ah, thank you Don.:playful::):kiss:

komokwa, bluumz and dgbjwc like this.
  16. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry, you're not alone. I was trying to figure it out, too!

komokwa, bluumz and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

I could figure out the bomb shape, and saw the F, but didn't know the term.;)

komokwa and bluumz like this.
  18. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

It took me a few, too!

LOL, we say "drop" the F bomb... I wonder if it's a regional thing?

My oldest daughter sent me that photo... she bought the homemade crochet item at a local craft show. :hilarious:

19. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Chihully (and no, I won't look up the correct spelling right now) made huge glass balls to float on a pond. They were on display here in a butterfly garden, and cost a small fortune but very very cool!

Figtree3, komokwa and dgbjwc like this.
  20. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Just to tell you where my mind was, I saw the avatar, and thought "crochet, or maybe felted, Christmas tree ornament, with an initial on it." (I'll blame it on the "glass balls" thread topic.) But I did spend a little too much time trying to determine what the initial had to do with Christmas, or bluumz, or the forum. So....glad we got that figured out!

Figtree3, dgbjwc, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted