Featured Small cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Artvandalay, May 8, 2022.

1. Artvandalay

Artvandalay Member

C9BA4AFD-5FEC-474E-A9C3-4BF36CAE0526.jpeg C661F710-7E8B-4398-B9F8-16989B7E5DE6.jpeg 36EC2E29-2CA3-4994-9B58-BA4FF6E4BCD8.jpeg CDE4B687-A3EC-4CAA-896A-38456B810E71.jpeg Experts I need help !!!
    I have this little, I’m thinking a store display storage cabinet.
    3 drawers that open from both sides with dividers. I’m wondering if there was a sign of some sort on top just because of the holes. I could be completely wrong. I would like to learn a little more about it before I go cleaning and restoring preferably to its original state. Any guesses, thoughts, info..
    Thank you!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2022
    judy, Rayo56 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like a spool cabinet. It would originally have held thread, and there would have been labels on the drawer fronts describing what was inside. I don't know about the holes on top; perhaps there was once a display of some sort.

The unfortunate thing is that, because it's not in good condition, the labeling - not to mention the wood's patina - is gone. You might clean up the wood, but those desirable key elements would be missing. On the other hand, the good thing is that these have traditionally sold fairly well, so if it were cleaned up it still might have some value, just not nearly as much as if the original elements were intact.

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Pics of the insides?
    I was going to say type set drawers for printing letters/words?

4. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Clean it gently with a very soft brush before you do anything else. I’ve found all sorts of interesting things that way, and often things look unbelievably better afterwards.

Figtree3, Rayo56, judy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Artvandalay

Artvandalay Member

FD9EAD54-BDBD-4A2C-B9AE-CFD37655BBAC.jpeg 0409308C-914C-488F-9936-BB572120EC54.jpeg 06D611EE-B3CE-4BEA-86EA-2E6923F5EB54.jpeg 535BA3ED-61D2-475A-829E-86A3AD49A221.jpeg Here are some pics of the drawers. It definitely needs help. I appreciate the info and definitely any suggestions on cleaning it!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2022
    Rayo56, judy and Born2it like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the tools inside look worth more than the piece itself..:wacky:

Rayo56 and judy like this.
  7. Artvandalay

Artvandalay Member

i made the same comment when I bought it.

Rayo56 likes this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think its always been exactly what it is now.Can anyone else just smell that pic ? That smell of oil and steel and dust ?

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    pearlsnblume, komokwa, Rayo56 and 2 others like this.
  9. Ghopper1924

Yep, now that I see the insides, it looks like it's always been a tool chest. My bad.

pearlsnblume, komokwa and Rayo56 like this.
  10. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

spools, thread , optical lenses, doctors tools, insect specimens at museums,I think lot's of things used similar cabinets "back in the day" ..... that one definitly spent some time as a machinist cabinet. just as useful today as it was when new !

Ghopper1924, komokwa and Gus Tuason like this.
  11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

My first thought was a spool cabinet, too... but then I noticed the hook/latch thingies holding the drawers closed. Never seen those on a spool cabinet, which were store display units. More likely for a cabinet/box that was going to be carried around, ie: tools! But otherwise... sooo similar. :)

Figtree3, Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  12. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I would clean it up with a little murphys soap or very diluted ammonia. And put a finish on it. It would sell well around my neck of the woods in Missouri but I would probably keep it. Another great storage for my art supplies!$75.

Figtree3, Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  13. Artvandalay

Artvandalay Member

I also thought about it being a machinist/small tool cabinet. For some reason the holes on the top are bugging me. If I could figure out what was attached to the top ( since the holes are perfectly lined up ) that would definitely answer the question of what it was used for. Thank you for all the opinions and suggestions, keep them coming

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  14. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

What kind of wear is there, if any, on the underside of the top around the holes?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  15. Artvandalay

Artvandalay Member

Update

just finished cleaning up the cabinet. Still looks used but I like the way it came out with just cleaning, no sanding, staining just good old scrubbing. I found more holes on top the 4 holes x2 in the middle that form squares do not go through completely. The other holes are drilled through. A friend mentioned possibly some sort of machine mounted on top with parts in the drawers. But still have no idea.

Attached Files:

Fern77, bluumz, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  16. Ghopper1924

Love it. It looks so much better! Thanks for coming back with an update.

17. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

I love the way you made it look. Retaining the aged, mellow appearance. Very nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted