Small clay busts...

Discussion in 'Art' started by johnnycb09, Jun 18, 2014.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all.Yall might remember these from the other board,but not much was really found on them,and now I cant find the thread to see what I did find out. I just love these,and its one of those things you just have a "feeling" about,so I thought Id try on here and get some fresh eyes.They are 4 inches high,give or take,obviously hand done,and the only marks are the initials "SLS". WPA was a vauge suggestion if I remember correctly,but hours of search has proven fruitless.Any and all input is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

How about Lufkin Pottery in NC? Some of theirs are signed SLS but I don't know if they ever made anything like these.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Yours are a bit large, but they remind me of chess pieces produced in Russia between the Wars.............

4. johnnycb09

Thanks for the suggestions,I'll search those avenues.Id really love to find out about these one day.

5. User 67

User 67 Active Member

I would guess that they are amateur or student art. The tip off being that the heads are titled so far back and facing up, a mistake many beginners make because they are sitting at a stool looking down on the piece, and push the chin up in that position in order to shape it. Another tip off is the heavy glaze, which hides a multitude of sins.

Of course, established artists do use heavy glazes and point the head upward, but it's less likely.

6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

AHA! Lilfont just explained something i noticed years ago in a weird sculpture, but had no insight as to why the clay lady looked like she was trying to catch raindrops!

7. johnnycb09

That makes sense Lilfont,but why do I still feel they are a little better than that? Its hard to explain,but they have a "presence" about them? Or am I just convinced they are something they aren't ?!? Either way,I adore them.:happy: thanks for looking everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted