Featured Small cut glass perfume? bottle

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KSW, Apr 9, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Please can anyone tell me about this sweet little bottle? Looks silver but may be plate as I can’t see a hallmark and I’ve run out of acid.
    Mark on the bottom but I think it’s a dent.
    The top is hinged and sadly the hinge is broken.I’m not sure this was ever designed to actually stand up as it’s got a very small base and unstable.
    Cleaning is work in progress as it was black!
    Thanks for looking :)
    1C6FED87-1DD6-45E8-84BC-1ABC222727DE.jpeg 461F8F49-A6D4-41EB-B8DD-49DEA0516FBB.jpeg 662A74F8-C655-4B6E-BBC1-DD8C88885965.jpeg 7A0DB7CE-0735-409C-B2E0-FBF64D8F387B.jpeg 346CFBD0-05AE-4876-BB03-2D5EA10751E6.jpeg D213C93C-CDD9-4470-A873-B499A70AF0C5.jpeg 15D33420-841E-415F-832A-0F0C4C8AC111.jpeg 389BB529-9EE6-4C3B-A139-1295899B60C3.jpeg

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes, probably perfume, sometimes seen referenced as for smelling salts. Early 19th century c1820 (late Georgian). I've seen similar designs with both English and Dutch marks. Suspect it's probably solid silver mounts.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks Ce BCA, gosh, that’s older than thought! I was thinking maybe Victorian. What tells you it’s Georgian rather than Victorian?

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

From the style and cutting and the detailing to the mounts, I have had some similar with Georgian / William IV hallmarks. Occasionally you find one with a fitted case too, I think the Dutch versions tend to date a little later.

Edit: I have a very similar one without the base mount in a 'must fix' pile somewhere (has a broken hinge too). If I can find in under the landslide of other 'projects' I'll add a pic here.

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I would have grabbed this in a nanosecond!!! :p:p :D

As @Ce BCA said it would have been for carrying in one's purse with some type of good-smelling stuff for when the "vapors" occurred or maybe laying down on m' lady's vanity for perfume. It would have originally had a wee glass stopper but it is not unusual for them to be missing. :happy::happy:

I will bow to his dating as I am not very good at that aspect. :rolleyes:

I just got a tiny one that I have to post on the finds thread. It is a little cut-glass tube-like bottle with a sterling cap. The mark is on the hinge itself. My total cost was a whole $13.51. :smuggrin::smuggrin:

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe give it a polish, you might find marks?

Ghopper1924, KSW, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great find, K, it is a cutie. And I agree with Ce on the date and the use as a purse bottle.
    In the Netherlands this would be the same period. Here this bottle is seen as late Empire, which is when the Classicist Empire style began to move towards a more elegant 'bourgeois' style. Later the bourgeois style won more terrain and became the Biedermeier style, with more rounded shapes. In the 1840s those more plump, pear-shaped Biedermeier bottles were popular.
    And remember, if it is Dutch, those marks could be tiny and stamped in impossible places.:rolleyes:;)

Ghopper1924, bercrystal, KSW and 3 others like this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

That's good to know, most of the Dutch ones that have passed through my hands have been gold rather than silver and I have tended to run with a later date. You are quite right about the 'plumpness' you see in some of the designs and that makes sense with a progression of style.

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I forgot to tell you I found another mark on that miniature horses bottom!. It’s under the shafts of the sled so will remain a mystery for the moment but you weren’t joking about them being small.
    If your up for it please can you briefly elaborate on

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

First is the Empire style, which overhere is the French style during the reign of Napoleon, a style inspired by Ancient Greece and Rome. Roughly Regency in the UK.
    Napoleon's brother, Louis Napoleon, was our first king, and the best one we ever had. He was totally different from his brother.

The bourgeois influence is the result of a growing middle class, which was called the bourgeoisie. Bourgeoisie means citizens, as opposed to the aristocracy.
    The middle classes earned their own money, and with their growing numbers their influence increased, which in turn led to an increased influence on fashions and taste.
    To them the Classicist style of the Empire was related to royalty, and it looked martial, military. After years of war on the Continent, people longed for a warm and nurturing environment.
    The Dutch middle classes especially, didn't want to be reminded of royal power in their own lives and homes. The Netherlands was the first modern republic (long before Louis Napoleon was appointed), so a strong middle class has been part of Dutch culture for centuries.

Biedermeier, ca 1815-mid 19th century. The rise of the bourgeoisie, and the longing for warmth instead of war, led to a new style, not just in the Netherlands but throughout the Western world. Shapes were more rounded, pleasing even for a layperson's eye, and inviting in the home. Some shapes were reminiscent of Rococo, but not over the top.
    The generally accepted term for that new style has come to be the German word Biedermeier. Biedermeier is German for someone plays it safe, likes things the way they are, even stiflingly conservative. Obviously most people didn't see it that way at the time.
    I suspect the term was introduced by an elitist art critic, but I could be wrong.

Imo your bottle is late Empire, when rounder shapes were beginning to replace the more austere Classical Greek and Roman inspired look.:)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou. That is really interesting :)

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted