Small Delft Vase Artist/Maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mal40, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Mal40

Mal40 New Member

My mother and I have been going through some old boxes of hers and my grandmother's and we come upon this small vase. Hand painted, I'm guessing made in 1923, if the numbering on the bottom is a date. I'm having trouble finding info on the "Dai" mark. Also, what doe the "M" mean in 5-23-M? Is there value to Delft pottery/china during the 1920s, and hand painted vs. manufactured? Thanks in advance for any info!

Vase1.jpg Vase2.jpg Vase3.jpg Vase4.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is not a mark I know, it could be by one of the Dutch manufacturers outside the town of Delft. It also says 'Delft-blue', which could be another indication it is not from Delft, but made somewhere else in the Netherlands.
    True 'Delfts' is always handpainted.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

kinda like mine ?

IMG_4111.JPG IMG_4110.JPG

4. Any Jewelry

Yep.:)
    Very pretty. Where is it from, Gouda maybe?

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Maybe Edam ? :hilarious:

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Googling gets me Dutch American Import Co.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

The DAI I've heard of is DAI Co, an import company. It stands for Dutch American Import Co. and their printed mark is different though not as different as it could be. I believe they imported from Asian countries in the "Delft" style so that doesn't line up with yours really. I did wonder if perhaps this is one of theirs but from an early period.

You can read about their early business which has been sold.
    http://www.dutcham.com/about.cfm

Their logo, not really like yours but not extremely different.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, your piece and the other shown really are of a souvenir type quality so while special as a family piece, I believe it would probably have minimal value on the secondary market.

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Sweet little piece, looks like a small souvenir pitcher to me :)

9. Any Jewelry

Just about all Delfts made after ca 1850 was made for the tourist trade. Dutch people don't usually buy Delfts.
    They do buy Makkum ware from Friesland:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judy, dgbjwc and Bakersgma like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

I have quite a bit of Makkum :). I haven't tracked online prices in awhile but Fles also seemed to sell well, at least in the US. ( It's really the older Delft and delftware that won my heart though.)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

I love Makkum, especially the blue and white. To me it looks more stylish than Delfts (but that's just me).
    I also have a rare all white Makkum gourd vase that looks almost Chinese, which was the inspiration after all. It was '2nd choice', because it had a flaw which I have never been able to spot, so I got it cheap from the Tichelaer shop in Makkum.:)
    The values for Makkum have been going up gradually overhere.

I also like antique Delfts, especially the very early pieces. But those are way above my pay grade.
    20th and 21st century Delfts (Porceleyne Fles) can be very beautiful, especially the top pieces by the best painters. It still looks too touristy to my Dutch eyes, but I appreciate the quality.

judy likes this.
  12. say_it_slowly

I've been partial to the polychrome Makkum though the blue is lovely too. I have two of these gourd huge vases, this is the older of the two (and with some repair.)

(Sorry to go afield)

IMG_20190110_071835.jpg

judy, SBSVC, LIbraryLady and 4 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

It is gorgeous! Friesland played a key role in the VOC East India trade, and it shows in all Makkums, but certainly in your vase, wow!
    To continue in that vein;) , I'll see if I can take a photo of my (much smaller) white gourd vase.

judy likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Here it is:
    upload_2019-1-10_14-6-7.jpeg

The 'second choice' chip in the base:
    upload_2019-1-10_14-6-22.jpeg

say_it_slowly, judy, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  15. Mal40

Mal40 New Member

Say_it_slowly, I found this also and thought is to be too late, as the Company started in 1958. Again this is assuming the "5-23-M" is a date and not, say, an inventory code; the M is confusing. I'm not finding anything on the founder, Gerrit Schep; at least at surface, would involve more digging than I'd care to do right now. I do agree with you, that this is a souvenir piece and not much in monetary value.
    Thanks for the reply! Thank you all for your replies!

The pieces each of you posted are all beautiful! I have to admit, this little vase has certainly thrown me down "the rabbit hole". I was a little familiar with Chinese blue pottery and some Japanese. I had thought that they copied the style from the Dutch and not the other way around... going through old boxes, while tedious, can be fun too!

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

.... And the Chinese copied it from the Persians.;)
    Persian traders had been bringing in Persian blue and white ware along the Silk Road for centuries, when the Chinese thought, we can do this too.
    Persian blue and white:
    [​IMG]

A 17th century Delfts jar, copying Chinese motifs:
    [​IMG]

dgbjwc, Bakersgma and say_it_slowly like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted