Featured Small glass bead necklace.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

22inches long. I’m stuck on figuring out roughly when it was made and likely where it was made. I’ve looked under seed beads and haven’t found anything similar. The big beads are some sort of composite and the smaller ones are glass and all the little green glass ones covering are threaded on nylon fishing line. Bit of damage that I can repair.
    I was sure I’ve seen these before somewhere....they don’t feel that modern.
    Any info anyone please? Thankyou.
    ~
    6FE4D524-17A4-4062-B05C-5F3D46356110.jpeg 6ABD2ACB-7344-42B4-81B6-1F5AC3795AAB.jpeg 46449771-7D35-4FC4-BF5C-5ECC8732CA4B.jpeg A6ED8032-7F42-4DD0-A658-21149AD4F1DA.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My guess is 1940s-50s.

scoutshouse, i need help and Houseful like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My guess is hand made. Have never seen a commercially made necklace that fastens in that button & buttonhole way, but have seen instructions for doing in beading how to books. The beads look to be all the same little green ones, except the large ones have been made by wrapping strands of them around some inner core, presumably with a large enough hole to accommodate the multiple times the monofilament had to pass through.

scoutshouse, i need help and Houseful like this.
  4. Houseful

I was sure I had seen this style before. I shall look around, there’s a big vintage fair coming up. I agree it’s handmade and I thought 40s. Thanks AJ and Bronwen.

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've several semi precious stone necklaces and bracelets with that loop and button fastening, all relatively recent commercial pieces. Not seen them with an African label, mine have had Made in India tags. I like them.

That green one does look older - the colour looks very 40s ish as do the beads.

7. PortableTreasures

PortableTreasures Active Member

I have seed beaded necklaces with this sort of closure that I've bought in Mexico. I haven't seen this beaded ball style there, though.

Houseful and scoutshouse like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. I need to go fish something out.....

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

The larger bead seems to have a cork/wood form inside. The smaller ones seem maybe to be glass/plastic. I don’t know if that would help to place date or region.

Houseful likes this.
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Neither the beads nor craftsmanship are of particularly good quality, and personally, doubt this necklace has much age, nor do I believe the color is any indicator. I have some old Czech, and '60s Japanese seed beads in similar tones, but also others in my stash, in various sizes, including some Czech and Chinese purchased new in the last 10-15 years.

Here are some African seed beads of similar color: https://www.etsy.com/listing/558054...=african+seed+beads&ref=sr_gallery-1-25&frs=1

Some new Czech beads in a similar color: https://www.firemountaingems.com/it...yPhQis6NA2Cq-3_5_KZei1LdTsVHpts0aAvzhEALw_wcB

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry, Houseful and patd8643 like this.
  11. Houseful

Think you are right about the cork. The other smaller ones are glass.
    This one will probably remain a bit of a mystery as it’s hand made.

i need help likes this.
  12. Houseful

The Czech beads are more uniform in size. The African ones are more like mine. I’m going to have to keep a lookout, I really did think I’d seen other necklaces just like it before though.

i need help likes this.
  13. Houseful

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted