Featured Small glass beads necklace - where from?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by aaroncab, Jun 26, 2019.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

When I bought this is was covered in a thick layer of tobacco residue - the beads were all dark brown. Let it soak for a few hours in warm soapy water with some baking soda thrown in for good measure and voila...

It's 22.5 inches (57cm) long and is composed of 3 strands twisted together. The white beads are 1/4"(6mm) and the pink and green ones are 1/8"(3mm). The pink ones might be shell...or maybe glass? Not completely sure.

I'm getting a japanese vibe? I really don't know... Thanks for your help!

48135642113_f0bdd9ab28_k.jpg 48135456678_79bfbc3905_k.jpg 48135667107_f5f42db2ce_k.jpg 48135645368_329dff032d_k.jpg 48135456488_ce2f31afb5_k.jpg

Figtree3, pearlsnblume, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

Jivvy, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  3. aaroncab

pearlsnblume and Xristina like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They're coral all right, and wanna-be early Chinese freshwater (i.e. "rice") pearls. These "pearls" look like glass on second glance. I've found a lot of these. The originals had real gold on them. They all date to the late 70s to early 80s if memory serves.

5. aaroncab

..."rice pearls'...who knew?? Ruth did! :) Thanks!

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not quite in this case; they're too identical. I'm used to seeing these with real freshwater pearls, and these fooled me for a second. The Chinese started exporting a ton of the real ones in the 70s.

7. aaroncab

Hmmm.... yes they are all very similar - they do feel like glass.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they are too uniform for natural pearls...

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

1980s style all around imho

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If they are real pearls they will be gritty against your teeth.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, 70s, pink/angelskin coral, jade, and faux pearls. This was before the large-scale Chinese production of freshwater pearls.
    You will probably find some 'pearls' where the fish scale layer hasn't stuck to the bead properly. It looks worn, but the layer was never there.

Just as an aside, real pearls and coral should never be soaked. Moisture can get trapped in between the layers and do irreparable damage.
    Pearls should only be wiped with a soft cloth, although I occasionally give them a very quick wash in soapy water and make sure they are absolutely dry as soon as possible.
    Coral can be washed in soapy water without a problem, but never soaked. Sometimes they need to be rubbed with a drop of oil after exposure to water.

I don't know if costume pearls can be soaked. They have an outer layer, I can imagine moisture can get underneath. The costume joolies will know more about that.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I have at least three of these. 1980s ish, indeed.

I'd not soak costume pearls, just a wipe with a damp cloth. I'm leary of soaking thread, anyhow, it can snap.

aaroncab and kyratango like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

A LOVELY necklace, whichever!!!!!!

aaroncab likes this.
  14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Well I am no joolie, but the first thing I thought of was that was something my grandmother would have worn and possibly brought home from a trip. I have to go thru my jewelry from her and see if I am right or hallucinating from the heat.

I like it, it reminds me of her.
    She has been gone a long time,so I am guessing similar ones were made awhile back when she was buying items such as this.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted