Featured Small glass yellow cut to clear ...perfume?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Missing its stopper and looks like someone used it for a candle, wax drippings in a few spots, bottom of bird, etc. Will maybe use for a small flower vase. But curious if this would have been a perfume, and if anyone can guess age or maker. Thanks!

y1.jpg
    y3.jpg y4.jpg y5.jpg

Attached Files:

• y2.jpg
      y2.jpg
      File size:
      135.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, Lucille.
    And the bottle is gorgeous too.;) Nicely detailed.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

too pretty for oil.....but is it too big for perfume ..???

4. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Could have been for cologne or toilet water. Women at one time mixed their own concoctions such as glycerin and rosewater and looked for pretty bottles to use for that.

5. komokwa

sounds likely..!! :happy:

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is the band around the neck slightly textured & on the inside? This is where a stopper would have closed it off.

Hoping the ones with eyes for glass will chime in & supply the correct description. It's flashed, I think, but not sure. Options are laid out here:

http://www.patternglass.com/FlashCaseStain/FlashCaseStain.htm

Christmasjoy, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  7. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Looks European to me possibly Bohemia area. Nice engraving.

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I have a mini decanter (almost 4"H) with 2 glasses. I always think Egermann glass when I see this yellow colour.
    DSC00002 (1).jpg

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I've seen a lot of blue and red, but not yellow. I like it a lot.

10. Lucille.b

Is the band around the neck slightly textured & on the inside? This is where a stopper would have closed it off.

Yes, textured. Pretty sure it is missing a stopper. Placing bets that the stopper has been gone for a while as it seems the former owner apparently used it for a candle holder.

I appreciate all the eyes on this. Will also look into Egermann glass, thanks CX.

11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Whether Egermann or another maker, I'm agreeing that it's Bohemian cut-to-clear, most likely Czech. VERY pretty!!!

Just for a bit of interesting info:
    http://www.egermann.cz/?go=products

12. Lucille.b

Thank you for the link, SBSVC. Will enjoy taking a look at that.

13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Most perfume bottles that are produced now are done so with the collectors & not for people who are actually going to use them as perfume bottles. They look upon them as art glass objects. JMHO

14. komokwa

Oh, i do know that...having one that such a big hunk of glass it's hard to pick up !!
    :hilarious:

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very pretty.
    I see so many here post Campbell's soup cans for scale. They sure have brand loyalty.:D

16. Lucille.b

I've had that exact same can for 20 years as a scale prop, lol. Figure that most people know the size of a Campbell's soup can by heart, the company has been around for some 150 years, and the iconic can has the Andy Warhol connection, too. The can I use is so old that one side is faded and I need to turn the good side to the camera.

On Ebay auctions I frequently use the can in a photo for vases, decorative items, etc. Not so much with jewelry, then I use a U.S. quarter. I find that even if I list the size of something, showing it in scale is another piece of info for the buyer and tends to cut down on people receiving an item and saying, "Oh I thought it was bigger/smaller etc."

judy, Christmasjoy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  17. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I agree Lucille, I try to add a coin to some of my items in my photos that are smaller to show scale as well.

Personally my favorite soup from Campbell's was Vegetarian Vegetable (alphabet) or Cream Of Mushroom for Chicken A La King. But no more, they are not GF.

judy, komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
  18. komokwa

Even at that , the angle of the photo with a soup can or quarter can make it look larger or smaller.
    I prefer a small ruler..

19. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Prior to Westmoreland becoming the company it is. Around 1890/1900 it was called the Specialty Glass Company. At that time they made cut to clear glass similar to the Bohemian glass.

What I see is that the bottom of your vanity/perfume/cologne bottle is not cut and polished the way a European bottle would have been.

I was trying to find some info on the Westmoreland Specialty Glass company and was unable to.
    @Cherryhill @TallCakes @George Nesmith Maybe one of you can give better info than what I have.

Your bottle would best be described as Amber cut to clear.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    judy, Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  20. Lucille.b

Good point, depending on the angle it can be misleading if you aren't careful with your photo.

For jewelry on Ebay auctions I often show a photo with both a ruler and quarter in separate shots. And I always include measurements in the auction description.

The can is just handy for posting here, one less thing to do -- I don't need to measure the item for the inquiry.

Also, thank you to Cluttered for the additional info. :happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted