Featured Small Green Vase with Enameling - Moser?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Jul 5, 2017.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

IMG_20170705_122855092.jpg IMG_20170705_122906854.jpg IMG_20170705_122911435.jpg IMG_20170705_122917550.jpg IMG_20170705_123003732.jpg Hello Everyone - I purchased this green vase recently at a local antique mall. The tag was marked Moser but I know better than to believe tags. It stands about 4 1/2" tall. It is ribbed but only on the inside. The bottom is signed Royo ? in gold. I think it's an import but I don't know from where. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Don

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Now that is a "fanciful" piece. ;) I really like it. :happy:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you! I fell in love with the deers with big feathery antlers.
    Don

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

That is a really strange design for an older vase.

I'm wondering if someone bought the vase and then used enamel paints to decorate it. Sort of like Hobbiest plate painting, that would explain the gold painted name Royo.

Rather a fun piece. Sort of Dr. Seuss.

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  5. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Good morning!

I think this will help some.

On Google when I searched 'Roya Glass Vase' I found several examples of Roya vases that matched yours. Some online sellers have listed them as Moser, but the auction houses have not. And then I found this:

http://www.madforglass.com/moser/moser_1016b.html

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

repetition - disregard

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think Royo is Spanish. Check Gordiola Glass Works and Catalan glass.

I had a piece I asked about back in the eBay days. This is part of a response I either got or found (my notes are inadequate):

Ivo on the glass message board received an email from the Gordiola Glass Works in Spain stating that they indeed are the makers of the enameled glassware signed "Royo" that has been attributed to Moser for so long. We are awaiting further word as to the exact time period these were made, but to paraphrase - they were made by Gordiola and decorated at the furnace by Catalan artist Royo. – info added by Warren Apr. 11/08

clutteredcloset49 and Lucille.b like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Wow - thank you all so very much! It looks like these vases are quite reasonable as far as pricing goes. Oh darn, I really didn't another collection! ;)
    Don

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This is the Gordiola pitcher I had.
    zzaa.jpg

It was signed Cire.
    zzaa1.jpg

I had another piece that I attributed to Gordiola based on the enameling, but it was unsigned, so who knows if I was right.

Bakersgma and dgbjwc like this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Love that pitcher! Now that I think about it I may have seen a couple of these pieces at an auction some years ago. As I remember the auctioneer stated that he thought they were Moser pieces designed for export to the Spanish market. They went pretty high but not as high as the real Moser pieces.
    Don

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Very Christmassy. Mrs. Claus likes it. ;)

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted