Featured Small Hand Painted Japanese Lacquered Box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Afat, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Afat

Afat Member

Hi,

I have this small hand painted lacquered box, its quiet beautiful and vivid in colour with traditional Japanese drawings of mount Fuji and Torii arch, I bought this at a car boot sale and don't know much about it.
    So I was wondering if anyone here has seen something like this and would know anything about its value, date and purpose? It measures 11cm in length and 5cm in height. Its also in very good condition and no damage, which makes me think its a new piece or early vintage. I've also attached some pictures:

IMG_3798.jpg IMG_3799.jpg IMG_3800.jpg

KikoBlueEyes, TraceyB and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Similar ones used to be used as gift boxes for perfumes and soaps, or even sweets.
    I have a few that date from the 1910s, but yours looks later, so vintage as you thought.

Afat, KikoBlueEyes and TraceyB like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A lot of this stuff around in the 1980s.

Afat and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of very similar. One has playing cards, and the other has Japanese packs of unopened cigarettes. Both from the 70s.
    Mikey

Afat and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that date. Late 1970s into the 1980s.

Debora

Afat, John Brassey and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted