Featured Small hand-painted pottery vase - European?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Jan 23, 2019.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

It has a few impressed numbers on the bottom, and an illegible word / words near the bottom that ends in "Y". It also has the remants of an old red paper sticker.

Also - I have no idea what flower or blooming shrub or tree this is supposed to represent. It's 5-5/8" tall.

Thanks!

IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2265.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG
    IMG_2268.JPG

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Does it look like Germany?

upload_2019-1-23_19-29-11.png

3. clutteredcloset49

Although my first thought was Torquay England

4. clutteredcloset49

5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It looks like Germany to me, too, in very tall letters that didn't get impressed well at the top, but darned if I can find another one.

6. UncleChuckTX

Thank you both! Now that you say that, it looks like distorted "Germany" mark to me as well.

judy, Christmasjoy, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  7. Tauriels

Tauriels Well-Known Member

Ohhh I Love this vase! yes, tall GERMANY pressed mark.

UncleChuckTX, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I agree .. Germany ... Joy.

UncleChuckTX and judy like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Germany, indeed. Torquay wares typically have quite different clays and bases, anyhow.

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

11. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The artwork on all the Gebauer vases on worthpoint is very similar to the OP's vase (think grandchild with crayons), although I didn't see the same shape. I think you got it.

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

So many of the Gebauer vases are impressed on the foot ring so I really don't know.

Christmasjoy, judy and UncleChuckTX like this.
  13. UncleChuckTX

I found this pic of a magazine article about Gerbauer, which said the designs on the vases (the child with crayon type you mentioned, as pictured on the article) were applied with a squeezebag of slip. It was interesting, so I thought I'd share.

Gebauer_x.jpg

Other examples:
    [​IMG]

14. UncleChuckTX

Thank you for finding and posting the Etsy example. It definitely looks like it was made by the same people as mine, whether it turns out to be Gebauer or not.

I found a Google Books scan that has Carl Gebauer listed, but shows a different mark for him and doesn't mention anything about the impressed marks on the foot rings. Most of the examples I see online have them. Do you have any idea where the foot-ring marks were confirmed?

https://books.google.com/books?id=Z...=onepage&q=carl gebauer pottery marks&f=false

I haven't been able to find that CG+Arrow mark on anything IDed as Gebauer.

Also, one of my bookmarks mentions Carl and Walter Gebauer, but only in its upcoming additions section, no other info. About 2/3 of the way down in Table #12 - Thuringia:

https://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/resources/list-to-do.php

I also checked a few more German pottery sites I had saved, but they all deal mostly with the "fat lava" mid-century type wares.

Anyway - thanks again, everyone, for your thoughts.

judy likes this.
  15. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Not sure it helps but just wanted to add that I have the exact same vase as in the Etsy listing but mine measures only 6 1/4" tall as opposed to 9 1/2".
    Don

16. UncleChuckTX

Just curious - what are the numbers on the base of yours? I was trying to figure out the codes to determine which was the shape number, etc., in hopes it might help with a search.

Mine looks like 150 - 7/1 - 34
    The Etsy vase looks like 50 - ?/1 - 11

Only a guess - but never know what might lead to the right search term.

judy likes this.
  17. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

There is an impressed mark 1 3 11 and the same faint Germany impression Germany. The 11 is the same as the Etsy example. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow.
    Don

UncleChuckTX and judy like this.
  18. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

19. UncleChuckTX

Thanks so much for the pic! So 11 matches the decoration but not the size ... hmmm.

[​IMG]

i need help likes this.
  20. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Or perhaps 11 is the overall shape and the other numbers size or decoration?
    Don

UncleChuckTX and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted