Featured SMALL HANDMADE CHINESE (?) BONE GAME BOX- WHAT IS IT???

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OK, have had this for some time.....and had forgotten I even had it except another post triggered the memory!!!! I assume it was something Mom had picked up possibly at an auction, but who knows!!! It appears to be made of bone....the figures on the top I believe appear Chinese....has some sort of miniature game inside with one sort of "top" (?)....to me it's fascinating....but I'd love to know JUST what it is!!!! And WHAT KIND OF BONE.....whale???? The two sliding lids fit snugly into two separate grooves on/in the top as you should see! To me, it obviously has some good age and wear to it, but that's the extent of my knowledge about it....other than what I can show you!!!! Thank you ALL in ADVANCE, as ALWAYS for your input and expert advice and opinions!!!!

DIMENSIONS are:
    LENGTH....2 11/16" less the lids tabs
    LG TAB.....5/8"
    SM TAB....5/16"
    HEIGHT...1"
    WIDTH....1 1/8" so, I have 10 images, and in case they get mixed up, they're numbered, not that that matters!!!

zDice Game1.jpg zDice Game2.jpg zDice Game3.jpg zDice Game4.jpg zDICE GAME5.jpg zDICE GAME6.jpg zDICE GAME7.jpg zDICE GAME8.jpg zDICE GAME9.jpg zDICE GAME10.jpg

SBSVC, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Maybe you could call on @aisianfever (corrected)
    Very pretty!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. Aquitaine

@Asian Fever would you know anything about this item of mine????? Thanks!!!!!

judy likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Aren't those dominos and dice?

kyratango, judy, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  5. Aquitaine

I'm hoping you meant @Asian Fever !!!!

6. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Oooops! I did wrong.
    Sorry Asian fever!

Asian Fever, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Very tiny, but yes they are @say_it_slowly .....the ones that are "five" in the little separate space are like half dominoes......so, yes, guess they would be called dice!!

8. Aquitaine

:joyful::joyful:

9. Aquitaine

I can take the dominoes out, but they are a PITA to put back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jimlad::jimlad::jimlad::jimlad::jimlad::jimlad: BUT will if asked...........

10. say_it_slowly

SBSVC, kyratango, cxgirl and 7 others like this.
  11. Aquitaine

THAT'S why I LOVE this site!!!!!! SO MANY EYES to find SOMETHING!!!!!! WOW!!!! THANK YOU S-I-S, for finding them!!!! I LOVE what they sold for too!!! I think mine are quite a bit more primitive than what's shown!!!! Will do more research now!!!!

kyratango, cxgirl, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  12. Aquitaine

@say_it_slowly, because of your link, I also came across info on POW little "Spinning Jenny" carvings!!!! Happen to have one of those too, which I will post sometime later when I get the images ready!!! I AM pumped!!!! At least EXCITED to finally find some info on these little gems!!!! The Jenny has some damage, which I am NOT going to touch!!! I saw one sold for $2,440, without one arm!!!! Some of the carving on her is SIMILAR to the furthest to the RIGHT game box you posted!!!! THAT'S what got me going on her!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN!!!!!
    Sue

Christmasjoy, judy, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  13. say_it_slowly

It's so exciting to see such cool stuff! Lucky you!

kyratango, Christmasjoy, judy and 3 others like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's the 1st thing i thought of upon seeing Aquitaine's fine photo's !!

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It makes sense that not every prisoner was a master carver, and not every prison had the best materials.......but yours gets an A for effort.....& bonus points for the painting !!!!:happy::happy:

kyratango, Christmasjoy, judy and 4 others like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The second thing I thought of. The first was: I must be missing something, Chinese?:)

17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Your photos are wonderful Aquitaine:) they show all the details on this sweet little set!

kyratango, Christmasjoy, judy and 3 others like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aww, geee, thanks!:shame:

19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It is made of some kind of bone, not ivory of any type. Probably some large bovine, like water buffalo.

20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I always heard they used cow bones from soup and other food. Any materials they could find. I doubt those prisoners of war had access to something as exotic as water buffalo bone. There wasn't much food as it was, and many prisoners died of malnutrition and disease. Selling their crafts gave them some income to buy food and whatever else they needed.

Draft saved Draft deleted